My 1997 Teal K1500 Build/Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a bug up my ass today. Not gonna mow the lawn (4 hour project) and instead I'm gonna do a lil bit here and there on my truck.

Gonna prime and paint the hood lip cause shes rustin'. Probs from stagnant water inbetween the lip and the grille.

Gonna take the EGR valve off and rinse it with Seafoam. Hopefully that helps a lil bit.

Change oil. Bout 6k overdue.

Clean interior and possibly pull dash off for fog lights switch installation. No fog lights yet, but I wanna see how the switch looks.

That honestly would be a full day for me. I'm not a super hard worker when it comes to my truck.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh shnapp. I forgot to mention an idea I had last night.

I have my 6x9 speaker setup that I can sit ontop of my toolbox for bonfires. Well, in winter, I have my topper on (call me an old foggie, but it serves its purpose) and thus I can no longer set my speakers on my toolbox. Plus, most bonfires occur when its snowing or where snow is gonna be thrown, and I don't want to subject my speakers to that environment cause I paid good money for it all.

Thinking about getting some 8" sub boxes and cheap 8" subs to swap out my speakers with during winter so I can have good bass (6x9's put out, but nothing compared to solid subs). Gonna see how much this'll cost me. Wish me luck.

Just took a look. $60 for the pair of 8" sub boxes. Bout $140 for two subs. So $200 for all of it. Not in any rush to do it. But I would like to do it.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Why not mount you 6x9's in the truck cap and install an "A/B" switch to select speakers in or out of the cab?

Mount your 6x9's up in the front of the cap and when you open the back it will be just like an "audio cannon" as it builds in the cap space and then exits the open rear.

Or you can run the 6x9's and the sub. Th sub will project through the cab and somewhat fill the lows in the music you're listenig to. Same way you hear ricer cars fo buy making that stupid "thump hump" noise...

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not mount you 6x9's in the truck cap and install an "A/B" switch to select speakers in or out of the cab?

Mount your 6x9's up in the front of the cap and when you open the back it will be just like an "audio cannon" as it builds in the cap space and then exits the open rear.

Or you can run the 6x9's and the sub. Th sub will project through the cab and somewhat fill the lows in the music you're listenig to. Same way you hear ricer cars fo buy making that stupid "thump hump" noise...

Are you still using the rear 4x6 speakers? I have some gray speaker boxes with some Kenwood speakers and I was thinking of bolting them right over where my rear 4x6 speakers are of coarse I will disconnect them first but im thinking the plastic moldings might start to rattle so im thinking of placing them under the rear arm rest in the gray boxes. Where did you place yours? I also have a 12'' sub speaker sitting right in the center of the back seat and since my front 4x6 speakers tweeters stick up above the dash board I have a dash mat on the dash it looks good.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Are you still using the rear 4x6 speakers? I have some gray speaker boxes with some Kenwood speakers and I was thinking of bolting them right over where my rear 4x6 speakers are of coarse I will disconnect them first but im thinking the plastic moldings might start to rattle so im thinking of placing them under the rear arm rest in the gray boxes. Where did you place yours? I also have a 12'' sub speaker sitting right in the center of the back seat and since my front 4x6 speakers tweeters stick up above the dash board I have a dash mat on the dash it looks good.

Nope. I'm front stage only. Rear speakers just mess up the concert sound experience reproduction accuracy I prefer.

6.5 mb quart components up front and a single 10" in the back like so:

You must be registered for see images attach

Amplifiers are built in:

Tweeters separated from the mids and in sail pods:

More details are available in my build thread if you want them so this doesn't turn in to a total hijack!

:rofl:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I had actually ran a set of wires that I could plug my speaker wire into that ran all the way to the back of the bed, so I could play at least one 6x9 with my topper on. In all honesty, it was a last minute "hey, could you bring your speakers to a bonfire in a blizzard?" cobble job, but it worked. I only used it twice though and I dunno how many more fires I'm going to in winter seeing as I'm now going to college and most of my friends are moving away.

The "Audio Cannon" is exactly what they told me on my build thread on Crutchfield.com.

BTW, jealous of your home-made tweeter locations. Wish I had fabrication skills like you do. Probs gonna just get some simple co-axial speakers for up front, seeing as those sexy wood grain switch panels don't have tweeter locations. Plus, I do enjoy rear soundstage. I just wish I was smart enough to buy quality 4x6's when I swapped out the stock ones. Man are them rear pillars a c*nt in two door extended cabs.

Two 8" subs sitting underneath the backseat getting 100watts each will sound good. At least good enough for me and my bluegrass. Maybe I'll like it enough to keep it and then I'll help a younger friend of mine hook up 6x9's in his truck so he can be the life of the party for two years in high school.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got a gauge cluster from the junk yard yesterday and swapped it out with mine. It was the tachometer stepper motor. New one works like a champ.

While I had everything torn apart, I wired in my OEM fog switch and decided I wanted a lil bit more outta life. I fabbed up an led that plugged into the DRL indicator light hole and now when I turn on my fog switch, the DRL light indicator turns on (cause it roughly imitates a "fog light" symbol). Plus I wired up 75% of my fog light stuff so now I just gotta buy fogs, mount em and plug em into the relay. I'm excited.

I'll post a few pics later. I took some with my new SMART phone but I have yet to figure out all the mumbo-jumbo that comes with it and how I can post pics on here with it without having to pay somebody somewhere half an honest hours wage.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tweaked my EQ (the very vague selection given by most aftermarket stereos) and my 6x9's thump hard without having to crank the volume. I like it. Still think I'm gonna put 8" subs in the back come winter.

I have my classes scheduled, books somewhat ordered and I have roughly 12 hours of class a week. It would seem a part-time job is in order, therefore I can afford to keep the truck running AND buy fun stuff for it other than during Christmas or my birthday. Gonna look for a job that I enjoy doing though, otherwise I'll just work for my dad here and there for gas money.

Fog lights are still being put off cause I think I'm gonna look online for some so I can some quality ones. Plus I don't want it to look like I ran to Autozone and install fogs just for fun on a free sunday afternoon. Everyone else around here did that.

Putting miles on the truck in the next couple weeks. Baiting bear up north on weekends and twice a week after classes.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already got 1000 miles put on in one week. Usually I put on 350.

There was a slight ticking coming from under the hood when I got the RPMs up while driving in the city. It seems to go away here and there. I'm thinking its just cause this truck isn't used to long trips. As long as nothings broke or shaking, Ima let it slide....

Got heated OEM-style mirrors ordered and clear corners. Gonna need help with the wiring of the heated mirrors later. Just the heated part. Wanna get amber 194 LEDs for the corners so they actually light up amber with the parking lights.

Not gonna redo rockers. Buddy of mine who does all that stuff no longer associates with me. So I'm thinking I'll just re-coat my rockers with herculiner before the snow flies and see how that goes.

Last edited: