Muffler with turn downs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, since the bag job on my truck I am running true duals into glass packs and then cut off. Tired of the drone and sound already. SOO.. here is what is going to happen I am sure.. Going to cut the glass packs out and put a dual in dual out muffler in place with turn downs on it. What I am wanting is still a decently toned truck, but NOOO resonation in the cab. the open glass packs are killing me right now.. I am not sold on any brand, but I have liked the sound of the magnaflow on my v8s10, but the pipes were all the way out the back where this will not be. So anyone who has turn downs before the axle have any good opinions on what to go with? Still like to run my exhaust out the side, but that will be determined if I can talk the exhaust man into coming up with something good, but doubt he will because they are lazy. lol any opinions?

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I think yer gonna be hard pressed to get rid of the drone dropped at the tire. Having just gone thru this, I have had to weld the muffler under the bed right at the back tire and run my dump over the axle.I tried three diff configurations, and havein the **** behind the cab with longer pipe was the only solution so far. But havin said that, I'm runnin no cat, single 3" in single 3" out of a welded thrush. I'm gonna hafta replace the cat anyway for the state. So I'm prolly gonna get a magnaflow cat. At the moment I have gottin rid of the drone and vibration, but it's still too load for my tastes.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I loved the way it sounded out the back with tips, but no way to get that same sound I don't think where its at now.. nor do I think I would want it that loud lol. I could put a stock muffler back on it and I will get rid of that drone! haha. I don't want to do that though. I am thinking anything involving a muffler will sound better then 2 glass packs wide open ya know? Even with some turn downs I think will make a world of difference.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Glass is almost like open pipes. I like the tone of the thrush, but only with it dropped behind the axle. I may hafta check out a FM super 50. I hear they have a more mellow sound.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been a magnaflow fan because they are quiet until you step in to it, but to me.. the tips you put on something is what makes the sound for a vehicle. I had 12" long tips with 3.5" openings I think and it sounded good. Well when I put my rollpan on i had to cut those tips down to like 6" and it had a TOTAL different sound.. It is just loud and stupid and blllaaahhhh sounding right now so I wanna get rid of that asap.. lol

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. crazy. no genius here, but I think it has alot to do with the resonation of the exhaust in the tips.. my fullsize has same motor in it that my s10 did.. I had the z28 tips on the s10 and it didn't sound anything like what my fullsize did with same setup other then the tips and maybe a few different angles of the exhaust making its way to the back. Which to me.. has alot to do with the sound of a truck. Look at it this way.. I have seen guys use 4" tips on there truck.. which gives it a more deep tone compared to a smaller tip like a 2.5" tip or 3".

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Not sure what flow master i have but its super mellow and a lil growl when you get on it. Im not a fan of it, id like a lil more sounds from it. I posted a vid in the exhaust vid thread