Muffler of Choice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm scratching my head here a little bit. Crawled under the truck this morning to do an oil change and figured while I was at it, I'd check out what I'm going to need for my exhaust. I thought about going all new from the manifolds back but I don't think that will be necessary now. I grabbed my cheapo digital calipers and measured the pipes at 2-3/4 inch from the manifolds going into the muffler. Right at the muffler the pipes are necked down to 2-1/2" but I don't think ill be able to cut them off with enough space to pipe in the new muffler. Then I have a single 2-1/2" tail pipe. Was this setup standard on all 7.4L vortecs? The size I mean, because I know the configuration is correct.

I believe they all came that way, yes.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always heard good things about borla. Top shelf stuff in the tuner world anyway. I wrote them off for big engines until I bought a Nissan Titan about 3 years ago and it turned out borla and magnaflow were the only mufflers you could put on them that wouldn't yield horrific results. I tried the flowmaster 70 series on it first and it sounded fantastic until you had to give any more than gentle acceleration and it sounded like a kid with a baseball card in the spokes of his bike. I opted for the magnaflow, which was much better but while towing our travel trailer would make a drone at about 2500 rpm. Not horrific, but enough to be an annoyance. So now I'm more interested in what people have.

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna say Spintech but you want minimal noise lol.

I had some Flowtech Raptor's on a C10 I had, they didn't drone and weren't excessively loud, liked em enough I bought a new one and it's going on my K1500. They had that kinda old school sound to em.

Reaction score
I have a Dynomax turbo muffler on my truck and I love it. No drone. Just a tiny bit louder than stock and that's how I like it. Reminds me I do have a V8 under the hood when I stomp the gas peddle.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly I'm surprised at the number of people with Turbo mufflers that like them. I do appreciate all the input! I think the Jones Max Flow is going to be my selection. First because they seem to be well built and well reviewed, and second because they are priced very reasonably. I've never kept a truck for more than 3 years so I'm not horribly worried about lifetime or million mile warranties... otherwise I'd be doing a DeathDually stainless true dual. As Soon as I get it installed I'll post some results and reactions up here for everyone.

Rich Pagoria

Reaction score
I just installed a Flowmaster 3 inch 700 series muffler and matching 3 inch cat on my 454SS. The prior set up was a 300 series and no cat, and it was so loud, you couldn't stand it for long. The 3 inch Flowmaster 700 set-up is perfect, good power, good sound, and the harmonics doesn't beat you to death.

Last edited:

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would do a 70 series in a heartbeat for the sound but I know flowmasters can really choke an engine down, especially in a a 2 into 1 setup like I'm doing. If you compare a cutaway of a 70 series to the cutaway of a magnaflow/jones straight through its not difficult to see which muffler is going to flow more air, and the magnaflow/jones mufflers arent even that loud. If I was doing a true dual setup and noise wasnt a factor, a pair of 40's would be my number one choice.

Rich Pagoria

Reaction score
Would do a 70 series in a heartbeat for the sound but I know flowmasters can really choke an engine down, especially in a a 2 into 1 setup like I'm doing. If you compare a cutaway of a 70 series to the cutaway of a magnaflow/jones straight through its not difficult to see which muffler is going to flow more air, and the magnaflow/jones mufflers arent even that loud. If I was doing a true dual setup and noise wasnt a factor, a pair of 40's would be my number one choice.

What you said is totally correct, but a stock 454 with the little valve heads don't flow enough to make a factor of the exhaust. I believe a stock 454SS doesn't put out the volume or velocity to be restricted by the 3 inch Flowmasters. With the Edelbrock heads, cam. etc - different story.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you said is totally correct, but a stock 454 with the little valve heads don't flow enough to make a factor of the exhaust. I believe a stock 454SS doesn't put out the volume or velocity to be restricted by the 3 inch Flowmasters. With the Edelbrock heads, cam. etc - different story.

Pretty sure the L29 heads flow more than the stock 454ss heads did. I do somewhat agree, the factory exhaust is big enough back to the muffler, I don't like the idea of going from dual 2.5" to a single 2.5" though.