looking to buy 05 ... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guess I will look into rebuilding that ..... my history with 700r4/4l60e's are not the greatest ...... maybe its me haha although a 4l80E held up to what I threw at it.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I have a 4L60E in my truck. When I rebuilt the motor it looked like the one in it right now was a GM rebuilt

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a really high mileage unit but for $5k if there is no major corrosion the greasy parts are mainly cheap. Looks like a good truck, you can join me in the GMT800 shun club :D

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a really high mileage unit but for $5k if there is no major corrosion the greasy parts are mainly cheap. Looks like a good truck, you can join me in the GMT800 shun club :D

I do agree that it is high mileage, but figured for the money ($5000) its still worth putting a new engine in.

Since my current 94 and this one have the 4L60E , would I be able to use the rebuild kit I bought for my 94 4L60E ? or is it different all together..... I am kind of sitting on this $360 rebuild kit hehe.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, they changed the 4L60 when the 800 series came out unfortunately. This is based solely on what I was told at a few tranny shops, I do not have any concrete proof.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Check out that front end for a possible accident, that is not the original valence. Yes some people paint them black or replace them with one from an 06 but not many. Does that one have the l33 motor? More than likely yes but it's worth a look because if not looked after very well they burn oil pretty easily.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out that front end for a possible accident, that is not the original valence. Yes some people paint them black or replace them with one from an 06 but not many. Does that one have the l33 motor? More than likely yes but it's worth a look because if not looked after very well they burn oil pretty easily.

I will have to check the front end out when I look at it. My friend picked up an 04 that has the black valence as well. How do I tell if its a l33 motor (what is a l33 motor?). I have never heard that term before (then again I am coming from a TBI sbc).

Edit - I looked up what the L33 motor was, and yes, according to the vin# of this 2005 it has the l33....... If this one is burning oil some, whats a easy fix - besides a rebuild ? I am assuming its burning past the piston rings?

Last edited:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
It is not a matter of if it's burning oil but if the previous owner replaced the oil as it was burned