looking to buy 05 ... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Good call man. A car/truck is nothing to settle on. I didn't want to see you get something then end up being unhappy with your decision later on.

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can afford it, youll definitely be more satisfied with the Dmax...just dont let anyone botch tuning the allison...

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good call man. A car/truck is nothing to settle on. I didn't want to see you get something then end up being unhappy with your decision later on.

Sounds good, and thanks :) I am borrowing my friends 04 5.3, and I must say. I am glad I did not buy that 2005. I hate the way this thing is, has no power compared to my 94.The only thing I like about it is, it rides smooth, and the front end looks mean haha. Otherwise, I hate it.

I am trying to decide on a cummins, or dmax .... another friend of mine has a 03 dmax w/ 8" fabtech lift, and I love that thing. I have driven it a number of times and have always liked it. Only problem he has is keeping balljoints in it. I have not had much experience with a cummins, but I am trying to read the pros and cons to each. I am still looking at the 03-06/07 years. I want something fairly new, but not brand new. Figured I would get one down in FL (going there next year), and drive it back. Gives me time to save up some more cash and get what I want.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
5.3 has no power? Maybe something is wrong with his. My 05 is a night and day difference compared to my old 400s.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wouldnt put too much faith in a carfax, coulda been fixed at a private shop and not a insurance deal, then dumped on a dealer, just be careful.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.3 has no power? Maybe something is wrong with his. My 05 is a night and day difference compared to my old 400s.

Ya the 5.3 in the burb moves that thing a lot faster than something that big has business going.

I think your buddys truck had some kinda issue....

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I tried telling him to get it looked at but he says nothings wrong with it because there was no CEL on and he says it runs fine. I got on it, and it barely moved out of its own way. On the highway I had my foot down on the pedal (80% throttle) for a good 10seconds just to get from 50 to 60. It felt like it was only running off a few cylinders, like a 4cylinder trying to move it. My '94 350 had much more power then this thing (felt it anyways). Thats ok, it got a flat tire on me yesterday, so I am never using it again haha. He just paid $12 or $13k for it, and it has a flat tire, and runs like crap.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
That is what he has....well an 04... just seems very slow compared to my 94 TBI.

Mine has the l33 which his is not so thats a major difference. Mayeb you had a freak truck or something, a lot has to do with gears too though. Mine has 3.42s but it still aint a slouch when you punch it.