looking to buy 05 ... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good luck with it man

Well I went and looked at it. The body is not as bad as in the pictures. The pictures it looks almost like the dent in the bed is caved in, and its just pushed in maybe 1/4"inch. The drivers side rear door has a few dents, and the rear bumper it looks like they backed into a small post. The rear frame was solid, it just bent the bumper bracket (you can actually see where it had bent the bracket). The front end looks fine, no evidence of any accidents. control arms, frame, and steering box all looked fine. I popped the skid plate off and everything looked as it should.

I checked everything from the frame, engine, transmission, differentials, even ball joints and tie rods. All were in good shape. Balljoints and tie rods look used, but they were still good. Engine was spotless (im sure dealership cleaned it). No leaks from transmission or engine (or anywhere). It was completely dry underneath the truck. The frame only had minor surface rust, nothing severe or cancer like. 4WD worked great. It was in 4WD and I couldnt figure out why the front end had a little hop to it (like my 94 does in 4wd), and my friend test drove it and realized it was in auto4WD, so he put it in 2wd and it ran great. At idle it as a tiny hickup, and it throws a P0300 code (random cylinder misfire). Anyone know what causes that? I think a tuneup and go from there. As I said, the engine ran amazing, and sounded great. No exhaust leaks, no noises coming from the engine, and the AC blows cold :)

I was able to talk the guy down on the price a little to $4600, but he wouldnt go to $4500. I figured for that price, I could fix whatever the issue with the random misfire is, and still have a pretty decent truck. So time to now research this misfire code (only has the hiccup at idle), otherwise when your driving it runs so smooth.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I jsut got back from the bank - and they said that since the truck books for $15k, that I should be approved for the $4600 as long as my debt to income ratio is fine (which it is). My credit is not that great, but my debt to income is fine. I also have a cosigner with good credit, so all should be well..... atleast I am hoping.

I am nervous but excited at the same time ........ I should know in the next few hours they said.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ High miles, a little body damage and, at least around here, everyone wants a crew cab so the extended cabs are like the lepers of the car lot, stuck at the back and ignored.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ High miles, a little body damage and, at least around here, everyone wants a crew cab so the extended cabs are like the lepers of the car lot, stuck at the back and ignored.

the truck is also located near my mothers in Boston, so most people either take the bus, walk, or have cars that are better on gas. This truck would make an awesome contractor vehicle. otherwise it would just sit.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW...................down' here they'd be asking 16K-18K for it.

Thats what they are asking up here in VT - so I asked my mom to look around down in Boston, and she found a few that were cheaper, like 10k, then i started shopping around online at dealerships down in boston , and found this one. figured I would jump on it. Even if I have to drop an engine in it - for $4600 and $1000 for an engine, ill do it :) lol
its missing the tailgate cover, but the handle is there - and the tailgate works fine. just needs to be lubed up some, the rods get stuck.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see how you can go wrong on this one.

Thanks. I am hoping I am approved. I have some bad credit history due to an ex gf maxing out a credit card ($5000), and its a derogatory mark on my credit history, but i have a cosigner with good credit, and my debt to income ratio is low...... I dont really have any monthly bills.... was dropping about $500month into the 94 .... so figured I should be good on a small loan.....

edit - I also priced out a new tailgate handle and bezel set, only $20 on eBay .... plus I am thinking maybe the chrome covers, since I like the look of black and chrome....