looking to buy 05 ... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a 05 ECSB 5.3L, 164k miles, fully loaded interior. It has a decent sized dent in the drivers bed side, but it looks like it could be punched out. It does have surface rust, but I figured that could be cleaned up since its caught early enough. The dealership is only asking $4995. I will be going to look at it this Saturday. There any issues with the 05s that I should be lookign for specifically? I know the mileage is high, but I figured it must have been all highway driven. I did a quick carfax with the Vin and it shows 15reports. I am going to have the dealership pull the full/detailed carfax.

They also have a 04 with 90k miles, but they want $12,000. I figured if the 05 only has the bed damage, a new bed sside from LMC is $500, so it would be worth repairing/ fixing.

I attached a few pictures of the exterior of the truck.

You must be registered for see images

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
A dent puller, or take a blow dryer, and heat the metal, then take a can of keyboard duster, turn it upside down and spray the hot metal. The dent will pop out.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Is it just me or does the rear bumper look like it's bent down from a possible rear end maybe?

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it just me or does the rear bumper look like it's bent down from a possible rear end maybe?

I was wondering about that too but wasnt sure if it was just the picture angle or something - I also noticed that the drivers side tailgate looked like it was open, or maybe the bed is tweaked.

They said its been used as a work truck, and it runs great. Due to my work schedule I am not free to go look at it until Saturday. My only other concern is that it has been there for a couple months, at the same price. So either people are being picky when buying vehicles and want something perfect, or something more is wrong. Although I would think the high miles would scare some people off as well.

Side note - this is to replace my 94 K1500 that I had :'( and I don't mind working on things (as my 94 build shows).

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
If its' been sitting there at that price for a couple of months, you might be able to talk them down some, they should be eager to sell it.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its' been sitting there at that price for a couple of months, you might be able to talk them down some, they should be eager to sell it.

I have never bought a car from a dealership, well bought one with needing a loan. Right now I have about $1500 which I could put towards the truck, but I spoke with my bank yesterday and they need some information from the dealership before they can approve me for the loan. So I figured if I was not able to talk them down, then I could pay the dealership $1500, would bring the total loan amount down to $3500.

everyone think this is a pretty nice base to start with? I would do minor things, exhaust, cam, intake, maybe lift it a little (would settle for leveling it).

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
I have never bought a car from a dealership, well bought one with needing a loan. Right now I have about $1500 which I could put towards the truck, but I spoke with my bank yesterday and they need some information from the dealership before they can approve me for the loan. So I figured if I was not able to talk them down, then I could pay the dealership $1500, would bring the total loan amount down to $3500.

everyone think this is a pretty nice base to start with? I would do minor things, exhaust, cam, intake, maybe lift it a little (would settle for leveling it).

A 3500 dollar loan after interest is probably about 5k even after your 1500 down payment. I have multiple car loans. All of them way more than yours but same concept.

Sent from my infected Android using tapatalk.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh ok. well I was impatient and pulled the carfax :) Its had one owner its entire life, approx 23k miles a year. no accidnets or any damage reported. Its been owned in New Hampshire since 05 as well. It just passed inspection and emissions in September, so must have been traded in during winter some time. ..... so I think - as long as rust and rot is not too severe. I will be purchasing this :)

I'm kind of excited, I like the looks of the body. I will miss my OBS though :(

sback2010

Reaction score
I would go for it. From the pictures you attached, it looks like a solid truck.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo