looking to buy 05 ... advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest with you. I wouldn't do it, do not get a loan to buy something that you already know has a problem. That random misfire could be more than just a tuneup the. You are stuck with a yard ornament that you are paying 400+ plus on and no money to fix it.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest with you. I wouldn't do it, do not get a loan to buy something that you already know has a problem. That random misfire could be more than just a tuneup the. You are stuck with a yard ornament that you are paying 400+ plus on and no money to fix it.

What else could it be? I know it could be an O2, MAF, burnt valve, bad fuel.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random misfires could be a lot of things. They are pretty hard to track down by guessing....

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
What else could it be? I know it could be an O2, MAF, burnt valve, bad fuel.

Like said above, it could be a number of things. I am no engine expert but there is such thing as too good of a deal and they always **** YOU in the end. So just be very weary.

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy it. Could replace the entire drivetrain for $1500. On a high milage truck, my first look would be tuneup, if it has the round ignition coils, thats likely your culprit for the misfire. Even so, long blocks can be had easily around $500. Could even pick up a long block, go thru it, mod it as you said in your first post as time and funds alllowed. Hell, the buy back on my totaled 04 with 130k was almost 4K. No brainer IMO.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like said above, it could be a number of things. I am no engine expert but there is such thing as too good of a deal and they always **** YOU in the end. So just be very weary.

I took your advice and did not go through with the deal. I am just gonna save up some cash and find myself a D-max :)

On the side note - I still have a new 4L60E rebuild kit w/ torque converter, and rebuilt 062 cylinder heads that I need to get rid of.....

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What turned you away form it?

Mostly just the misfire. It was misfiring a little the first time I test drove it - then I went back over the weekend to look at it more, and it was missing a lot, also sounded like a lot of lifter/ piston noise that i did not remember the first time. Plus I figured when I buy a truck I want it to be something that I want (Dmax), and not just settle.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya the miss could have been alot of stuff. Piston slap isn't anything to worry about really though.....

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo