Lets see them 8 lugs!! 2500-3500 Photo thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bone stock 496?

In my barely informed opinion it takes some work and $ to get a 454/496 vortec to pump out over 400 rwhp.
My motor has worked iron heads, worked stock intake, 42lb injectors, roller valve train, moderate cam, bigger TB, full duals with JBA headers and is dyno'd and custom tuned (erroneous numbers deleted) The limiting case is the stock intake which tops out just under 800cfm - big money required to get around that problem given the one off nature of the 454 vortec blocks, heads, intake, etc - very few go fast parts directly bolt up, in my experience. I chose to stay with iron heads to reduce risk of head gasket failures at very cold temps (-40C/F) when aluminum and iron don't play well together/behave differently. Aluminum heads and the resultant increase in CR you could carry would probably see you get to 400 rwhp but after that you run into the intake limitations. Cheers

Correction - went back to check my figures - actual data off the dyno would put motor at 407HP @ 4000 RPM & 508 lb/ft @ 3100 RPM. Stock was 290 HP @ 4000 RPM & 410 lb/ft @ 3200 RPM so I am up 100hp and 100ftlbs over stock, which I am pretty happy with.

Last edited: