labtop tunning questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstiles90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know u can tune the vehicles computer with a labtop.my truck is a 98 with a 4l60e...but can u get a program to correct the speedometer? i like the hypertech max energy programmer.but its expensive.its got a good power gain but thats running 93 octane.thats not a option for me.it can do all kinds of other stuff.but it says on the site it only goes up to a 34 inch tire size.i would rather learn how to tune the air fuel ratio and so forth my self just wondering about correcting the speedometer

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
If you want to tune with your laptop or other computer you'll need to buy the software, EFILive is a popular one, and a scan cable that can transmit the data from the truck's computer to the laptop...like kn1ght said, not cheap

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
If you're really serious about learning to tune I'd contact Aloicious. From what I can tell he's pretty knowledgeable in the subject, but again it won't be cheap haha

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
i know i gotta get the cable.the hypertech program is 400 dollars almost not cheap

Another thing you might want to consider is a Black Bear tune. You've got a vortec so I would DEFINITELY look into that before getting a hypertech. You'll get sooo much more for your money haha

cstiles90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing you might want to consider is a Black Bear tune. You've got a vortec so I would DEFINITELY look into that before getting a hypertech. You'll get sooo much more for your money haha

ok actually jet has a whole kit to tune and do what i wanna do.but its 500

cstiles90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ima look into the black bear tune....another question is there a speedo re calibrator for out trucks that works for tires over 34 inches. most all i have seen say up to 34 inches

also wondering does it change the way our trucks auto trans shift points when u get bigger tires when u dont correct the speedo since our trans is electronically shifted?or does it go by rpm ?
i remember reading somewhere it would be off unless u correctede the speedo..sounds like crap to me but i wanna make sure

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the trans is controlled by rpm and your tps sensor so bigger tires shouldn't affect shifting...Also, blackbear should be able to tune for tires bigger than 34". If you want to ask them anything, they're very helpful