Jolly Green's '97 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I started tearing the front end apart tonight. Didn't have much time since I got home at 6:30pm, and I've got to be up by 4:30am so it wasn't a long night. I've got everything off with exception of the CV joints. And since I have to take the upper and lower arms off to replace the bushings, I'll take the CV's off tomorrow. Everything came off extremely easy. The toughest part was the axle nut, but it's nothing a 5 ft cheater bar couldn't fix. So, tomorrow I'm going to unload the torsion bars completely, then remove the arms and take them in the shop to press bushings/ball joints out and press new one's in.

I'm sure this is floating in some stickie somewhere on here but I thought I'd mention that the axle nut is supposed to be a 36mm, but I found that a 35mm tapped on LIGHTLY with a hammer worked better for me.

Another thing I did before I forgot or was absentminded was to take a pic of both the inner and outer tie rods, so that when everything got put back together I would have the same number of threads showing. Not a huge deal since it will have an alignment after I'm done, but I've got about 30 miles to drive after it's together.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I really didn't think about taking pics til I had most of it off. Didn't have any time last night because of a function at my son's school. Only thing left to do is separate the spindle and take the contol arms off. I'm taking it in to work and using the 90 ton press. I'm not screwing around with these ball joints.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

notfastenuff

Reaction score
Hello Mr. Jolly. I recently acquired your trucks older sibling. lol I've got a '94 ecsb, also white and Z-71. I have to say that I"m gonna steal some of your mods. You've done some of the things that I'd been considering, and have definitely pushed me. Your truck looks fantastic.

As for the brake line question that you posed with the hydro-boost pictures, I'd recommend a trip under your truck and looking at the lines running up behind your gas tank. I'm the third owner of mine, and it's been BABIED. I had a brake line rust through and start leaking. The lines were perfect from the master to the gas tank, and they looked fine from the gas tank back the rubber line. It was just the section hidden by the tank. The fuel lines look like poop, too. I'm guessing that it's just where the lines are "protected" from when the truck would get washed.

Also, I'd like to say thank you for serving. (I'm assuming, here, since you said you were in Afghanistan that you're military.) I appreciate what you do.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thank you for the compliments. I've tried to make it my own while still retaining a "factory" look. I'm getting ready to do the hydroboost swap in the next week or so and I will be double checking the brake lines beforehand.

I am in the Air Force and will have to go back to Afghanistan next year. Thanks for the support!