I'm Gonna Burn It So It Can Go to Hell Where it Belongs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
So, I went and dropped $459 to get my truck back today. They said the dizzy was shot because the EST wire had a short in it or something and was making it impossible to set the timing. Tech that did the work wasn't there when I went to go get it, so I paid and drove off. It cranked fine and drove fine, definitely not what it had been doing the last few months. So I'm getting excited. I decide to take the long way home. I'm apprehensive at the first few red lights, but it idles fine. Something it hasn't done in a long time. So I get to another light...hey, the **** was that...a miss. Then another. Then it was fine. Same deal at the next light. And the next.

Finally, I'm at the last one to get to my house - the middle of US 280 during rush hour just outside dowtown Birmingham. It misses and I freak out. There is no way I'm stalling on this highway right now. So, I go to two foot driving. Still sitting at the light. BUT WAIT when I give it gas to get out of the misses IT RUNS LIKE COMPLETE AND TOTAL ****. I'm in a panic, I seriously thought a cylinder just let go. All I can think about is getting off the main highway. I'm holding it around 1500 RPM and the whole truck is shaking like an earthquake. So I'm thinking, how can I reduce the engine load. Radio - OFF. Then I hit the button to turn off the A/C - and instantly it is better. I drive it home and park it, and I hold the brake down while its still in drive. It still has the miss, but its not close to stalling. I cut the A/C on - it gets much worse. As you increase the fan speed it gets worse and worse. Cut it off, it goes back to fine other than the miss every 10 seconds or so.

WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawl:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 suggestions:

1. Beer, and lots of it.

2. Marshmallows. Chocolate and Graham crackers if you like, but definitely marshmallows.

3. A camera. The two above combined with fire can make some hilarious youtube videos.

That is all...

:flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flamingdevil:

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Ac can be a major drag we all know that.......I had this prob with a jeep cherokee with a 318 my jeep was also getting hot everytime the ac would be turned everything checked out good I ended up just selling before finding the prob...have you called the shop yet to let them know. Sounds like it needs to go back and be fixed at thier costs. It sucks you are having all these problems man

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
No they were closed by the time I got home. They'll be hearing from me tomorrow. It also seems to "buck" under a load at some speeds, like the engine is missing then. Or the transmission could be slipping. Who knows.

It does all happen when it gets warm though. It definitely idles much better than previously upon crank.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ac can be a major drag we all know that.......I had this prob with a jeep cherokee with a 318 my jeep was also getting hot everytime the ac would be turned everything checked out good I ended up just selling before finding the prob...have you called the shop yet to let them know. Sounds like it needs to go back and be fixed at thier costs. It sucks you are having all these problems man

Good call. If that's the issue you left it at the shop for and it isn't fixed, take it back. Understand that some issues are intermittent and often cannot be easily reproduced in environs such as a shop, and that the tech in question may, MAY have driven it after repairing the item in question and thought it was fixed. If he didn't test drive it, shame on him, as a test drive is mandatory in my opinion. I have often thought that I absolutely HAD to have fixed an issue only to find it still happening during a test drive. A needle in a stack of needles, so to speak.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
check spark plug wires. mine did the same thing and it was the spark plug wires had soaked up oil and made the timing inconsistant. although my ac never worked so i didnt try that but once i trned things on it got worse like you mentioned and mine also felt like a lost a cylinder or two in fact i couldnt keep it running and it wouldnt go past 35mph

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well it runs fine going down the road. I think. But 60 mph is no problem, it has plenty of power.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
check spark plug wires. mine did the same thing and it was the spark plug wires had soaked up oil and made the timing inconsistant. although my ac never worked so i didnt try that but once i trned things on it got worse like you mentioned and mine also felt like a lost a cylinder or two in fact i couldnt keep it running and it wouldnt go past 35mph

X2 My friend had the same problem after retrieval from a shop. It ran like **** under load and acted like it was a bad cylinder or valve. After a long trial and error process He was drivin home when he heard a loud bang under the hood. Fearing the worst he lifted the hood and found a spark plug had been loose the whole time, finally poppin out under load. He replaced the plug and the truck ran perfect.

X-Cutioner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like that same crap that i have been fighting with my dads 89
when it is miss firing are the injectors firing correctly?

we did get my dads going again and found out that there was a bad injector wire which fried that injector driver in the pcm

have you replaced the computer yet?