Antiseize It!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only imagine what that aluminum 'n' copper powder is doing to the insides of the hydraulic lifters.

I'd expect it would be enormously abrasive on any moving parts--bearings, rocker arm pivots, cam lobes, oil pump gear teeth, etc.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only imagine what that aluminum 'n' copper powder is doing to the insides of the hydraulic lifters.

I'd expect it would be enormously abrasive on any moving parts--bearings, rocker arm pivots, cam lobes, oil pump gear teeth, etc.
Aluminum and copper are both used as bearing materials. Many aluminum small engine connecting rods have no inserts,the rod runs directly on the iron or steel crank pin and I've seen high performance racing rods the same way. Copper is used as a substrate in sleeve bearing inserts. I did wonder about it clogging lifters and pushrods but I think the particles are small enough and I'm diluting 8oz of antiseize with 5qts of oil.
I drove it today and the oil pressure never got below 10psi. idling in gear and no smoke at all.
It only needs to last 3 months,after that it's a boat anchor.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I've heard of people putting some kind of scouring powder in the oil too, but I can't recall what it was supposed to fix.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people putting some kind of scouring powder in the oil too, but I can't recall what it was supposed to fix.
In the oil? That's new to me.

Heard about folks dumping Bon Ami (cheap bastages use Comet) down the carburetor to put some "texture" back on the cylinder walls to "stop oil burning" past the rings.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

Heard about folks dumping Bon Ami (cheap bastages use Comet) down the carburetor to put some "texture" back on the cylinder walls to "stop oil burning" past the rings.

Kind of like when internet forums just started becoming a thing there was an import guy running a sand blaster into the throttle body of a running Mitsubishi at WOT bouncing off the rev limiter trying to 'port and polish' his intake and head before a big race. Thinking back on that, it probably was Comet or corn cobs or something... but still.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandfather told me they would sometimes use Bon Ami in the cylinders to seat the rings on cars when the rings refused to.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Maybe that was it, or maybe the guy telling me had it mixed up.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can remember years ago a product that was a jellybean sized silvery pellet that you dropped in a spark plug hole to "restore" your engine. I remember pointing them out to my father who responded back to me that he doesn't believe in majic. Circa late 70's