Antiseize It!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other day I drove to Ocala and back and used 3/8 of a tank of fuel for the 120 mile trip. Rough MPG was 13.3 This morning I made the same trip on a 1/4 tank for a MPG of 16. The only thing I did different was I didn't run the A/C until I was about 5 miles from the house. Would the compressor pull it down that hard or have I actually increased the VE of the engine that much? This morning I did have a valve tick for the first 30sec on cold start so it could be plugging lifters a little.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update,
The cold start valvetrain tick went away and the cold start oil pressure has now gone up to 30psi. Hot oil pressure is still 10psi idling in gear. I think compression my be a little higher,seems the starter doesn't spin it as fast as it did before. No knocks,ticks,rattles or smoke. The 16MPG trip must have been a fluke,it's consistantly 13,probably the best this old motor can do.

Traveling with a tow strap and a 7/16 wrench under the seat!

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other day I drove to Ocala and back and used 3/8 of a tank of fuel for the 120 mile trip. Rough MPG was 13.3 This morning I made the same trip on a 1/4 tank for a MPG of 16. The only thing I did different was I didn't run the A/C until I was about 5 miles from the house. Would the compressor pull it down that hard or have I actually increased the VE of the engine that much? This morning I did have a valve tick for the first 30sec on cold start so it could be plugging lifters a little.

I can only imagine what that aluminum 'n' copper powder is doing to the insides of the hydraulic lifters.

I'd expect it would be enormously abrasive on any moving parts--bearings, rocker arm pivots, cam lobes, oil pump gear teeth, etc.
Aluminum and copper are what the surface of the engine bearings are coated with.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aluminum and copper are what the surface of the engine bearings are coated with.
Yes. In solid strips that don't circulate with the oil.

Metal powder on the other hand will be abrasive, gouging those bearing surfaces, embedding on piston skirts, abrading cylinder walls, packing ring grooves, and could plug small passages--hydraulic lifters, hollow pushrods, THE OIL FILTER, etc.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aluminum oxide is not even close to the same thing as an aluminum alloy used in a bearing.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. In solid strips that don't circulate with the oil.

Metal powder on the other hand will be abrasive, gouging those bearing surfaces, embedding on piston skirts, abrading cylinder walls, packing ring grooves, and could plug small passages--hydraulic lifters, hollow pushrods, THE OIL FILTER, etc.
Soft metal powder. I suspect it will clog the oil filter and push the bypass open.
Maybe I'll blow it apart when I pull it and see what the antiseize did. Right now I've put a little over 400 miles on it and it has improved the mechanical condition of this future boat anchor.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That would be great to actually see what the insides look like after some miles. Just out of morbid curiosity if nothing else.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soft metal powder. I suspect it will clog the oil filter and push the bypass open.
Maybe I'll blow it apart when I pull it and see what the antiseize did. Right now I've put a little over 400 miles on it and it has improved the mechanical condition of this future boat anchor.
Some times you just gotta fart around and find out. I applaud this experiment, even if it fails, because you don't know until you try.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update;
It has been 2000 miles since I poured that stuff in there and I checked all my fluids a few minutes ago after a 15 mile warmup run. The oil level is still full and amazingly clean for a worn out motor. There was plenty of antisieze on the stick so I'm certain it is still circulating and didn't just fall out of suspension and laying in the bottom of the pan. No knocks,ticks or rattles and very little smoke at first start and only after sitting a few days. Oil pressure is the same. 30-40psi cold,10psi hot idling in gear.