i need a new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good point, I haven't messed with small blocks in a while. if the center intake bolt holes in the heads are angled like the rest then it will not accept the center bolts of a tbi intake. the tbi intake has straight up bolt holes. they make a jig to drill a old carb intake fit tbi heads, and visa versa I believe.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 5.3 in our '99 1500 moves that truck much better than the 5.7 in my '95. Both have 3.42's gears but since mine is 5spd, I get better mileage. Many more options on a 5.3 to make more power, however the 5.7 TBI, if it was any simpler it wouldnt run. If theres an issue with the 5.3, its much more complex to figure out. Cost wise, you could get a 5.7 from a jy, completely rebuilt it for less than the cost of a 5.3swap. ( rebuild being bearings and gaskets. assuming there was no damage to any internal parts )

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you bring up a good point with the head situation. couldn't I just take the heads off of the engine that I currently have and use those though? theyre freshly rebuilt. don't know if the valve setup will match though...

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
heads wont cause an issue. i used tpi heads on my tbi before. if your getting a chip get a custom one. the jet chips and such are crap and you wont be utilizing your tbi at all.

tbi is the farthest thing from simple once you start getting your hands into it.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
heads wont cause an issue. i used tpi heads on my tbi before. if your getting a chip get a custom one. the jet chips and such are crap and you wont be utilizing your tbi at all.

tbi is the farthest thing from simple once you start getting your hands into it.

so you don't think this valve cover configuration will cause a problem?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
valve cover has no relation to the intake manifold bolt pattern or anything thereabouts, its a valve cover. any non vortec head with minor expecptions will work on any tbi intake. if you ran vortec heads which are still centerbolt youd have to run a vortec conversion maniofld or make a tbi adapter plate.

i used permiter heads on my tbi 383 all i did was use periter style valve covers from my old 85 camaro, and the pvc and fill plug all remaned close to the same location with the minor exception of extending a few rubber hoses.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
valve cover has no relation to the intake manifold bolt pattern or anything thereabouts, its a valve cover. any non vortec head with minor expecptions will work on any tbi intake. if you ran vortec heads which are still centerbolt youd have to run a vortec conversion maniofld or make a tbi adapter plate.

i used permiter heads on my tbi 383 all i did was use periter style valve covers from my old 85 camaro, and the pvc and fill plug all remaned close to the same location with the minor exception of extending a few rubber hoses.

so my intake manifold will bolt up?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
your intake will bolt up to almost any pre 96 head with the exceptions of lt1 and maybe 400 heads unless you drill steamports for them. so chances are yes they will. your intake has the same bolt pattern as any carb intake. the likelihood of them producing heads on a crate motor thatd need a one off manifold is absurd because they know people will either go to carburetor, tbi, tpi or some sort of injection system along those lines. vortec is the only system that the intake/heads are different for a gen1 sbc.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your intake will bolt up to almost any pre 96 head with the exceptions of lt1 and maybe 400 heads unless you drill steamports for them. so chances are yes they will. your intake has the same bolt pattern as any carb intake. the likelihood of them producing heads on a crate motor thatd need a one off manifold is absurd because they know people will either go to carburetor, tbi, tpi or some sort of injection system along those lines. vortec is the only system that the intake/heads are different for a gen1 sbc.
The 87-95 tbi engines have a different angle on the center 2 intake bolts (4 total center bolts) than the outer 4 bolts (8 total). If the OP chooses to use his original intake, he will need to use a drill to "slot" the center 2 bolt holes to match the angle to the other bolts. That is the reason for this quote.
"Cylinder Head Notes: 7 Bolt style Exhaust Flange Standard, 85' and prior intake manifold bolt pattern. Perimeter bolt style Valve Covers."
The preimeter covers don't pose a problem, just an added expense. Also, as noted before, to run correctly you will need the ECM tuned. Brian at tbichips.com does a good job. You will most likely need to upgrade the fuel pressure as well.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
theres a tn of way to change fuel pressure. i didnt know that about the intake bolts. personally i never ran into that issue with my current truck. i have the edelbrock tbi manifold on it now but even the stock one never gave me an issue with tpi heads.