i have a fuel tank from a 1995ish model? will it fit on a 1998?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicklatech

cummins in a chevy
Reaction score
i have a fuel tank from a 1995ish c1500 model? will it fit on a 1999 c2500? The circular caps are different so I would need to use my original one, but is the rest of the tank the same or close enough?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. There are two different tank generations for the gas engine GMT400 pickups. TBI and early Vortec, which uses the metal lock ring that you tap around in a circle to lock in the "skeleton" type metal sending unit with exposed pump and float. This style ran from 1988 up to early 1997 for the pickups. Later 1997 and 1998-up pickups have a large snap ring that holds in the plastic "trash can" (my pet name for them) enclosed pump/basket whatever you wanna call it assembly. No swapping.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had no idea and I was bored so I started researching part numbers trying to find out, but I thought to myself "surely someone else already knows and will reply before I can figure this out."

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Was that change associated with the change to the PCM feeding the gauge as opposed to the tank itself?

nicklatech

cummins in a chevy
Reaction score
i have a cummins so i've already remove the original fuel pump in the original tank, but I do need the gauge floating sensor (potentiometer I think) . basically i want to slap up the non-leaking tank from a 95 truck, but I have to use my original tank cap parts otherwise I will have to rework my fuel lines and sensor wires.

nicklatech

cummins in a chevy
Reaction score
Nope. There are two different tank generations for the gas engine GMT400 pickups. TBI and early Vortec, which uses the metal lock ring that you tap around in a circle to lock in the "skeleton" type metal sending unit with exposed pump and float. This style ran from 1988 up to early 1997 for the pickups. Later 1997 and 1998-up pickups have a large snap ring that holds in the plastic "trash can" (my pet name for them) enclosed pump/basket whatever you wanna call it assembly. No swapping.

Richard

thanks you saved me lots of time. well I will have to see if the tank is worth the trouble or if I should find a perfect tank match. also thank you for giving me the years for the new style trash can tank.