Fuel tank question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, was thinking of upgrading to the 98+ style fuel pump on my 96 because offroading and fuel cavitation is no bueno. Had a problem with that going down a bouncy steep decline over the weekend

Has anyone done that here? Can I use my 96 fuel tank? What all would I need to change? I checked the Dorman o-ring replacement for both 96 and 98 and they were the same part number, but idk.

Also, is there a better way? Lol.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You'll need a mid-'97-up tank as the opening on the tank is different to accommodate the new pump design. It uses a large snap-ring type retainer instead of the lock ring that you spin around with a drift. You'll have to change the supply and return lines, too; to the quick-connect style.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha, so there's no way to use the 96 tank huh? You can't, for instance, swap out the lock ring onto the newer style pump?

Hmm I gotta find out what type of quick disconnects to convert to. I wonder if they have the right ones in the Dorman section of O'Reilly.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The mouth of the tank has a totally different provision for the lock ring, so you can't use the old tank. I don't know if the hole is even the same size; it seems to me like the plastic pump assembly is a little larger than the old metal one but haven't compared them.

Plus, your old tank has a baffle tray attached to studs in the floor of the tank, it would very likely be in the way of the new style pump assembly. A brand new tank isn't expensive (little more than $100 for the Spectra 25gal) though you'll probably be on the hook for shipping due to the size.

You'll probably need the flexible portions of the fuel and return lines from GM. My suggestion would be boneyard 'em because new they will probably be expensive. Strangely, Rock shows listings for them but looked up for a 1998 or even 1999 K1500, it shows the old style with the coupling nut, instead of quick connects for the plastic sender. Sooo.. boneyard, or GM dealer with your VIN and wallet in hand.

Richard

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, So I went and compared pumps and you're spot on for everything. The newer style pump is bigger. The holes are different sizes and the fittings obviously are different.

I have the newer tank and pump on the way so I think all I'll need now are the connections.

Was looking at these:

the 8AN-3/8 and the 6AN-5/16 and some hose and barbed quick disconnects from the APS.

Thoughts?

Last edited: