96 Fuel Pump Assembly in 92 Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Considering my rig is purely recreational use, I'll roll with the Delphi, it's showing up tomorrow.
I drive it once a month at most.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most-common cause of premature fuel pump failure is contamination--grit--rust--debris--in the gas tank.

Be sure to install a fresh filter-sock along with the pump, and in-tank wire harness. Verify the rest of the wire harness/fuel pump relay circuit/oil pressure bypass circuit and ground connections are in good condition without excess resistance.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^That and China made, although the Delphi pump is US made. Also, my tank looked brand new inside and never run low. @92GMCK2500 i did get 34k out of it being a daily driver.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you mean the reason it failed was hanger assembly wiring? If so, it wasn’t that either, the hanger was new with the pump. I even ran power directly to pump as test. Dead
No I mean the wiring in the truck was substandard barely adequate for the job when it was new. Add resistance from poor connections over time and less voltage gets to the pump. Lower voltage slows the pump, which makes it draw even more amperage, burning it up. I put a Racetronix Hotwire kit on the van. It has 10ga wiring off the alternator to a 30 amp relay to run the pump. The Racetronix wiring kit also upgraded the in-tank wiring and the ground side as well. I put the Racetronix wiring upgrade and a new Delphi pump in the van in 2013. It was still going strong when I swapped the pump to a Racetronix E85 pump. I thought I had killed that pump the other night, but turns out the battery had gotten weak cranking over the engine as well as coasting off the road with the lights on after it had killed a cap and rotor. With low voltage the pump sounds weak and barely pumps.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I mean the wiring in the truck was substandard barely adequate for the job when it was new. Add resistance from poor connections over time and less voltage gets to the pump. Lower voltage slows the pump, which makes it draw even more amperage, burning it up. I put a Racetronix Hotwire kit on the van. It has 10ga wiring off the alternator to a 30 amp relay to run the pump. The Racetronix wiring kit also upgraded the in-tank wiring and the ground side as well. I put the Racetronix wiring upgrade and a new Delphi pump in the van in 2013. It was still going strong when I swapped the pump to a Racetronix E85 pump. I thought I had killed that pump the other night, but turns out the battery had gotten weak cranking over the engine as well as coasting off the road with the lights on after it had killed a cap and rotor. With low voltage the pump sounds weak and barely pumps.
It’s possible, but that would’ve been a problem all our trucks were dealing with. I wonder if a Delphi pump manufactured 10 years ago wasn’t better quality? Made in USA typically means assembled in USA now.