Fuel pump problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 97 tahoe with the 5.7 vortec was running fine then randomly died and wouldn't restart. Wasnt able to mess with it for a few days and when I was able to get to it it of course fired up and ran fine. That was several weeks ago now and has continued to run normally. I've watched fuel trims checked wiring and everything looks good. I'm leaning towards a fuel pump that's working when it wants. I've had vehicles before that didn't out right die the pump would come and go. Is there a way to test for that? Right now I get 60 psi with key on. I just don't want to drop the tank if it isn't a pump issue

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Next time it doesn't want to start, get a rubber mallet and give it a good smack on the center of the bottom of the tank. If it starts after that, most likely it's a bad pump. When it quit on my Burb a couple years ago, we had been driving it for several days, multiple starts and stops running errands and going back and forth to work. Parked it for a couple of days, to drive the crew cab, and went back to swap trucks and Burb won't start. Checked the relay and the fuses, cause I didn't want to drop the tank either! But all my diagnosis kept pointing to the pump. Replaced it, and Burb fired right up. It had been gradually being harder to start, so gradually that we hadn't noticed it.