Fuel tank question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mconner533

Reaction score
Quick question. I have a 91 3500 incomplete truck. Basically a cab and chassis from the factory. Will a stock 3500 tank swap.out for the cab and chassis tank? Truck has been sitting for years and im beginning the process of getting it back on the road.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question. I have a 91 3500 incomplete truck. Basically a cab and chassis from the factory. Will a stock 3500 tank swap.out for the cab and chassis tank? Truck has been sitting for years and im beginning the process of getting it back on the road.
If it's an actual C&C, in other words the straight 34" frame rails from back of the cab rearwards, unfortunately no. The C&C tank is very narrow in comparison to the regular pickup truck tank, and that's so it will fit between the frame rail and the driveshaft of the narrower C&C frame. Here are the two compared side by side.. regular C3500 tank on left, C&C C3500 tank on right:

You must be registered for see images attach

It may not seem at first glance like that drastic of a difference, but they're the same height and length, but the C&C tank is almost half the capacity.

And here's the C&C tank in the frame:

Richard

mconner533

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks. Yea it's a little narrow dude 9.5" othside of flanges

Attachments

• 17039621581248080698278039819280.jpg
    17039621581248080698278039819280.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 17039621874813621299683142559665.jpg
    17039621874813621299683142559665.jpg
    805.7 KB · Views: 4

mconner533

Reaction score
If it's an actual C&C, in other words the straight 34" frame rails from back of the cab rearwards, unfortunately no. The C&C tank is very narrow in comparison to the regular pickup truck tank, and that's so it will fit between the frame rail and the driveshaft of the narrower C&C frame. Here are the two compared side by side.. regular C3500 tank on left, C&C C3500 tank on right:

It may not seem at first glance like that drastic of a difference, but they're the same height and length, but the C&C tank is almost half the capacity.

And here's the C&C tank in the frame:

Richard
Thanks for the info. Frame is 34" out to out from just behind the cab back. So I am to assume a regular cab dually bed won't work?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Frame is 34" out to out from just behind the cab back. So I am to assume a regular cab dually bed won't work?
Nope, for 3 reasons. The wheelbase on most C&C trucks is 4" longer than the comparable longbed wheelbase, so there will be a noticeable gap between the cab and the bed, and also the C&C rear axle is about 8" narrower than a standard dually rear axle, unless the C&C is optioned with the "wide track" axle which is not common at all. Finally the mount points aren't there for it as that 34" straight frame rail setup is meant for upfitter type beds (flat beds, utility beds, cargo box, wrecker unit, etc.)

You could certainly make a dually bed fit and there's a few different ways to do it, none of them sound like fun to me. You can chop out all the spring hanger rivets and drill new holes 4" forward to fix the wheelbase issue.. then fab up some mount points.. and then decide how you want to deal with the axle width issue. Probably easiest is to adapt a regular dually 14 bolt axle (likely need to move the spring pads and possibly shock mounts) and sell your C&C axle. It has value since many people still working these trucks eventually end up needing one and they're less common than a regular dually axle.

Richard

mconner533

Reaction score
Nope, for 3 reasons. The wheelbase on most C&C trucks is 4" longer than the comparable longbed wheelbase, so there will be a noticeable gap between the cab and the bed, and also the C&C rear axle is about 8" narrower than a standard dually rear axle, unless the C&C is optioned with the "wide track" axle which is not common at all. Finally the mount points aren't there for it as that 34" straight frame rail setup is meant for upfitter type beds (flat beds, utility beds, cargo box, wrecker unit, etc.)

You could certainly make a dually bed fit and there's a few different ways to do it, none of them sound like fun to me. You can chop out all the spring hanger rivets and drill new holes 4" forward to fix the wheelbase issue.. then fab up some mount points.. and then decide how you want to deal with the axle width issue. Probably easiest is to adapt a regular dually 14 bolt axle (likely need to move the spring pads and possibly shock mounts) and sell your C&C axle. It has value since many people still working these trucks eventually end up needing one and they're less common than a regular dually axle.

Richard
Thanks. I was noticing the bed mounts not there. That should have been my first clue. Did not know about the wheelbase length issue though. Contemplating stretching it anyway. That's just another reason to do it.