Gas Tank Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thirty-five dollars worth of "special tool" fuel pump, and a few feet of fuel hose will vacuum the tank down to something manageable.
www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p74021?rrec=true

If you don't like the "electric" solution, six feet of hose would siphon the fuel just as well, but somewhat slower.

Of course, if the in-tank pump still works, even if it's weak, just use the in-tank pump to drain the tank.
You must be registered for see images attach
We had a manual siphon pump, we just didn't have places to put all the gas.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If the fuel tank is rusty enough to warrant replacing, you would be wise to replace the brake line that goes up that inside frame rail while the tank is out of the way. There are surprisingly few convenient times to have a brake line rupture. I used these guys https://www.inlinetube.com/ and was very pleased with their product and service.

This^

My brake line had been replaced about 7 years prior to me doing the fuel pump the 2nd time, and it snapped while I was working on the tank/pump. Same same spot. I replaced it with copper alloy brake line. The first time, it was some sort of coated steel line.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Burb doesn't have that, and I'm putting the siphon hose in far enough to get gas residue on it. But the siphon pump is not working. So I have to get it running, to use up the mostly full tank.....
I think, unless we're driving this one a bunch in the future, I'm not filling it up all the way again. The only reason I did this time, was we had a bunch of driving to do, and Rawhide was down so Burb was all we had to drive.....

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Burb doesn't have that, and I'm putting the siphon hose in far enough to get gas residue on it. But the siphon pump is not working. So I have to get it running, to use up the mostly full tank.....
I think, unless we're driving this one a bunch in the future, I'm not filling it up all the way again. The only reason I did this time, was we had a bunch of driving to do, and Rawhide was down so Burb was all we had to drive.....
Can you "jump" the pump?
Run a 12v wire from the battery to the ODB port, have to look in the manual and see where the wire goes first though, then disconnect the fuel line at the filter, add a section of hose and use the pump in the tank to pump the gas out.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Can you "jump" the pump?
Run a 12v wire from the battery to the ODB port, have to look in the manual and see where the wire goes first though, then disconnect the fuel line at the filter, add a section of hose and use the pump in the tank to pump the gas out.
Good idea, hadn't thought of that.
Better just to get it in the air so I can get under it and diagnose/fix the problem. Then I can use the gas the old fashioned way! I need to get it fixed and away from the RV park as it's costing me $50 a month extra for it to be here. And I need to be able to use it in a month, after Rawhide gets loaded up for our trip to Austin in April.

Xombi

Reaction score
Buy the flexible fuel line you will need from a bricks and mortar store to assure that it is ''ethanol compatible''.
Fleabay sells a electric 12v fuel pump for $10 us delivered, (item 3751494515640). It was 2 for 15 so I splurged. With some vehicles you can hook the pump to a line that feeds the carburetor, fuel injection rail or throttle body. And pump away. If you pump it into a decommissioned forever 5 gal clear water container, you can separate the gas from the c**p on the bottom and burn it in internal combustion engines. Note, you will be destroying that clear container with the gas ethanol combo. It will cloud, then crack, but get another from somebodies recycling pile. Recycle the other stuff responsibly. It's your ground water you are poisoning elsewise. .
The pumps are also good for moving cars onto a trailer where the fuel pump has failed. I do not believe they will work with high pressure fuel injection systems.
Copper nickel for hard fuel line is also an option, and once you switch from steel there is no going back.