How to Remove Fuel from tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
89 GMC C3500XC 7.4L - I'd guess I have about 18 gallons of gas in the tank and I'm replacing the whole tank and fuel pump. I have a great siphon, but I can only get the 3/4" OD hose so far down the filler neck before it seems to hit something. Never gets into actual gas. I already damaged the filler flappy hole cover thingy at the cap.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the fuel filter and jump the relay.

I recently scrapped my son's Crown Vic, and it had about 12 gallons in the tank. I cut the harness and put my jump box on the fuel pump wires. Ten minutes of work and I have plenty of gas for the lawnmower to finish out the year.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
89 GMC C3500XC 7.4L - I'd guess I have about 18 gallons of gas in the tank and I'm replacing the whole tank and fuel pump. I have a great siphon, but I can only get the 3/4" OD hose so far down the filler neck before it seems to hit something. Never gets into actual gas. I already damaged the filler flappy hole cover thingy at the cap.
As @Erik the Awful said, disconnect at the fuel filter, connect a hose, I believe I used a cutoff garden hose when I did mine. Slip it over the fuel line and into hopefully a jerry can. Then run a wire from the positive side of the battery to your OBD1 port under the steering wheel. I believe it's the G port, bottom row closest to the door, stick your 12v+ wire in there and the fuel pump should start pumping away.

Last edited:

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The posts above are certainly the easier way to go about it. Wish I was that clever lol I used a manual transfer pump from Harbor Freight. Lots of pumps if you want it done quickly but I would just pump it a few times to get the suction going and then leave the pump handle alone and let it siphon. It was excruciatingly slow that way but I just let it go and mowed the yard while it did it's thing.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I removed the filler neck and cut the hose to the tank and fed the hose in that way. I'm using GasTapper Siphon Pump that I purchased to work on the Mustangs. Have to run to Walmart and get more gas cans. All the cars and tractor are full now.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I removed the filler neck and cut the hose to the tank and fed the hose in that way. I'm using GasTapper Siphon Pump that I purchased to work on the Mustangs. Have to run to Walmart and get more gas cans. All the cars and tractor are full now.
Well that's one way to do it I guess...lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I formed a steel tube to plug-into the fuel filter of my Lumina.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then used the fuel pump to move the gas out of the tank.

Poking a hole in the bottom of the tank--if you're discarding the tank anyway--seems to be a reasonable solution.

PlatonicSolid

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I formed a steel tube to plug-into the fuel filter of my Lumina.

Then used the fuel pump to move the gas out of the tank.

Poking a hole in the bottom of the tank--if you're discarding the tank anyway--seems to be a reasonable solution.
Somehow this reminded me of Galaxy Quest (Youtube link)

Last edited: