Gas tank leaks a gallon of gas after filling up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arcee98

Reaction score
Like the title says, every time I fill up, the pump clicks I remove the pump, then a gallon of gas comes flowing out the top of the tank. I don’t seem to have a fuel leak otherwise. It seems it may be coming out a vent on the top of the tank. Any ideas?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the o-ring for the fuel pump and sender assembly. Mine was completely missing when I bought my truck.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that’s not optional?
There were 2 sets of cheap brakes under the seat, both with one pad missing. Dude kept replacing the one worn pad instead of fixing the sticking caliper. There was lots of stuff “optional” when I bought it :anitoof:

Like 4 empty cans of “oil charge r134”. I flushed at least a quart of oil out of the a/c system. The dryer had to weigh 10 lbs when I took it off.

The ad said “ac works but not cold”. Truck was super sketchy to drive home.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were 2 sets of cheap brakes under the seat, both with one pad missing. Dude kept replacing the one worn pad instead of fixing the sticking caliper. There was lots of stuff “optional” when I bought it :anitoof:

Like 4 empty cans of “oil charge r134”. I flushed at least a quart of oil out of the a/c system. The dryer had to weigh 10 lbs when I took it off.

Well, you’ve definitely been treating it right!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reminds me of bringing my ‘94 K2500 home. It was like something straight out of roadkill.

Arcee98

Reaction score
Probably the o-ring for the fuel pump and sender assembly. Mine was completely missing when I bought my truck.

Might explain my fuel smell from the back. o_O Wouldn’t when filling up though it keep pumping? Or does it pressurize enough that it only leaks when removing the pump?