I got a free truck, but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got a free 94 C1500 ECSB with the V6. It needs a water pump and a belt. But seeing as it is the only paid off vehicle i've ever owned (don't ask) I wanna keep it. And maybe throw a 350 in it. But that is when I have questions. If I get the proper engine mounts will it just bolt right up? Otherwise I'll just keep it a V6 and fix it up.

LOUDRNU

Reaction score

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Unless you are really committed to doing a swap, my suggestion is almost always to fix what you have. A lot of good intentions end up as lawn art. That paid for truck won't be of much use sitting around while the swap is in process (for weeks, months, years).

If I was going to go to the trouble of doing a swap, I'd look into an LS series swap anyway. Still, my vote is fixing what you have.

mistaake

Reaction score
The 4.3 V6 is a cheap, reliable engine - why not keep it if it's running OK? Unless it's messed up then by all means swap in a 5.7/350 or a 4.8/5.3 LS

Reaction score
I have the 4.3 also, seems to be running good so I too will opt to wait until it's tired out before I do and LS 5.3, I do hate the 5 speed though, too low of first gear yet 2nd is too high to start out with. Very clunky trans. Anyone know what is the most allowable backspacing on the front with a 4" drop? I bought a set of used 18x8's and they have a 6" B/S,, im thinkin they wont work. I'm new to these trucks as I just sold my 70 Chevelle and with some of the money bought this little toy so I am really green on these.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If its just a water pump, that would literally take about an hour with hand tools. You can remove the fan and shroud and literally sit in the engine bay to get to the water pump, there's that much room. I've done that before.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
And i've also done a 4.3 to 350 swap to a 94 RCSB, had to torch off the existing mount plates, and in my case,, with the mid year TBI and vortec heads, it had different ecu plugs. All 88-93 v6 and v8 harnesses, and 94 v8 harnesses have the same plugs for the computer, but my 94 v6 was different. Other than that, swap fan shrouds or run an electric fan.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm the wrong person to be responding to this! I bought a 93 C1500 ecsb V6/5 speed. I wanted a simple daily driver. Ummm that just isn't me! I kept saying that I didn't want to swap a 305 in that came with the truck because I'd swap a 350 in instead but then it wouldn't stay stock and I'd be overdoing the truck because I can't leave anything stock.

I have just about everything for a lightly cammed, head swapped, full bolt on, Whipple supercharged 5.3LS, T56 6 speed, 14 bolt semi float, auburn posi, 4.88 gears, 4 wheel disc brake daily driver...

Oh yeah, the V6 just needs a freeze plug!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yankeerodder, I just noticed that you are from Oregon. We are in Grants Pass. How about you?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I'm the wrong person to be responding to this! I bought a 93 C1500 ecsb V6/5 speed. I wanted a simple daily driver. Ummm that just isn't me! I kept saying that I didn't want to swap a 305 in that came with the truck because I'd swap a 350 in instead but then it wouldn't stay stock and I'd be overdoing the truck because I can't leave anything stock.

I have just about everything for a lightly cammed, head swapped, full bolt on, Whipple supercharged 5.3LS, T56 6 speed, 14 bolt semi float, auburn posi, 4.88 gears, 4 wheel disc brake daily driver...

Oh yeah, the V6 just needs a freeze plug!
man, thats like saying "oh just needs a new air filter, might as well do a big block swap"