How to recover a headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Old77!
EC & CC's all have the provision for the O/H console to be mounted in the roof under the H/L. SC's do not.
There's a screw @ the front of the console, & 2 large rear facing plastic hooks on the rear of the console that hook into that provision.

Thanks!!! I'll take a look at the front of the console and search for that screw! :) I did locate your other write up about recovering the center console as well and that, too, will come in handy :handshake: I still have plenty of material for this so I'm excited to get this done. Sounds like i need to allot some time to this for getting the headliner in and out. Thanks for all of the knowledge transfer :)

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, thank you for taking the time to do this. I am going to try to tackle this. Trying this week. I have never done any work with fabric ever so thank you. If you happen to have any video or pics of you doing this, please email them to me at [email protected]. Going to search youtube for videos.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Get the foam backed headliner material - extremely easy to work with and get down flat without wrinkles and folds compared to regular cloth.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Man, thank you for taking the time to do this. I am going to try to tackle this. Trying this week. I have never done any work with fabric ever so thank you. If you happen to have any video or pics of you doing this, please email them to me at [email protected]. Going to search youtube for videos.

Yea...a video. That'd be so much easier to explain the process, but most of the time I'm in the shop by myself.
Problem with that is I'd have to be the writer, director, actor, propmaster, cameraman, producer, & editor!
I don't have a proper video camera, plus I'm a computer dumbass! Lucky to know how to turn the damn things on!
People already complain that I'm slow as it is! If I was to delve into video productions, my projects would take even longer! Just learning the programs to edit would be an exercise in frustration! My postings for upholstery projects would end up being 6 months apart!

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice write-up! I just got my headliner out and this will help a lot when its time to recover.
What type of adhesive do you recommend for recovering the headliner material around the center console?

dylan94sierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up! I don't have a headliner right now its just bare metal and need to get one it. Anywhere know where I can get the foam and how to put it up to the metal roof? Can I use a similar spray?

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is awesome, great write up

If you plan another one like this, I would love to see something on sun visors.

I need to recover mine

Chevy1500

Reaction score
Great Writeup! Makes the daunting task a little easier to handle.
Has anybody done a headliner on an ecsb (or any) with a sunroof? Ive been wanting to replace mine, but Im not sure how much more work the sunroof makes it.