How bad are clearance problems with a 5/7 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow well thats a new one ! Usually people say to stay around 29 inch diameter in the back.it seems you also answer another question without even having to ask.so ur saying you have ridler 17x8 wheels in the back and they tuck right? I looked them up and they are 4.5 inch backspace.i had asked before about this if 17x8 with 4.5 inch backspace fit in the back so i could get a lil more lip on the rim but i never had an answer but seems like ur running it fine and with a 265 tire

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is 4/6 with notch 235/70/15 front 255/70/15 rear no tire rub and rides decent, I have carried some pretty good loads without bottom out. I wanted mine a little lower but still usable as a truck. But here is my thing, I am a old guy and did this many years ago, if I had it all to do over again... It would be stock height ! In fact I got rid of factory spindles etc years ago, I did not bother keeping my old stuff =( And I have been looking for a old donor truck in speculation of going back in the factory height direction.

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I definitely want to say either way you go buy shock extenders for the rear!!!! Oh man! I drove mine for 1000 miles or so (for me a couple months) and it rode pretty rough out back. I bought shock extenders and it was night and day with how the back end handles itself.

I'm 5/7 on 2010 20" staggered camaro wheels. I'm running at 255/40-20 up front and a 275/40-20 out back. Both tires tuck just a hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow well thats a new one ! Usually people say to stay around 29 inch diameter in the back.it seems you also answer another question without even having to ask.so ur saying you have ridler 17x8 wheels in the back and they tuck right? I looked them up and they are 4.5 inch backspace.i had asked before about this if 17x8 with 4.5 inch backspace fit in the back so i could get a lil more lip on the rim but i never had an answer but seems like ur running it fine and with a 265 tire

mine are actually 0 offset so that makes them 4" backspace luckily i still had screenshot because i didnt remember what i even bought lol
You must be registered for see images attach

And yes they tuck with zero issues but the diff. will bump the bed cross brace some with that in the back

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine are actually 0 offset so that makes them 4" backspace luckily i still had screenshot because i didnt remember what i even bought lol

And yes they tuck with zero issues but the diff. will bump the bed cross brace some with that in the back

Well nevermind then ill just get 17x8 with 5 inch backspace all around its a tried and true classic lol

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is 4/6 with notch 235/70/15 front 255/70/15 rear no tire rub and rides decent, I have carried some pretty good loads without bottom out. I wanted mine a little lower but still usable as a truck. But here is my thing, I am a old guy and did this many years ago, if I had it all to do over again... It would be stock height ! In fact I got rid of spindles etc years ago, and I have been looking for a old donor truck in speculation of going back in that direction.

Maybe you just need regular shocks instead of drop shocks ? Heres a screenshot of what i found that works just type it in ur favorite auto parts store.i found after lots of research that kyb excel g shocks were going to be the comfiest ones while being quality maybe you should try dat before you think of going stock again

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely want to say either way you go buy shock extenders for the rear!!!! Oh man! I drove mine for 1000 miles or so (for me a couple months) and it rode pretty rough out back. I bought shock extenders and it was night and day with how the back end handles itself.

I'm 5/7 on 2010 20" staggered camaro wheels. I'm running at 255/40-20 up front and a 275/40-20 out back. Both tires tuck just a hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes sir im def goin with shock extentenders in the back.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just go balls out bro it'll be fine.

BTW I ran the same drop on my 92 extended cab -long- bed with 255/50/17 (OEM Impala SS size by the way) and the only problem I had was every now and then I'd drag one of the gas tank straps on sharp driveway transitions.

No guts no glory

Richard