How bad are clearance problems with a 5/7 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrbrown510

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well looks like i found the best of both world western chassis bolt on super c-notch

You must be registered for see images attach

Dyelon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I running a 5/7. I put in the under bed Super C Notches from AVS, and I have not touched the frame once but I also ran drop leafs.The ride is great, I still need to fix the chevy lean. I am 1/2" too low on the passenger side, so big boned peeps cant ride passenger. I agree small dips and potholes will cause rubbage, but that's the low life. If I remember correctly I am running 275/55/15 in rear and 255/50/15 in front Ill have to double check that though. Plus I'm still running the chrome strips (rolled) because I like them.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am 5/7 in a tahoe and i have no issues. i used stock springs instead of the drop springs. flip kit in rear. had to clearance a cross member for drive shaft ( its a tahoe). i did the bolt in notch but i welded it and it felt better afterwards. im on 245/40/20 and it has no clearance issues

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good info for Tahoe owners but do keep in mind the rear frame area is different from a truck so what works for you may not apply directly to a truck.

Richard

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good info for Tahoe owners but do keep in mind the rear frame area is different from a truck so what works for you may not apply directly to a truck.

Richard
thats why i specified tahoe. they sit a little different.

JB97

Reaction score
im 5/7 and have a bolt in notch in the rear with shock extenders and it rides fine. I mean, its a lowered truck, but it doesnt bother me at all. THe only rear issue I have is my shackles are so close to the bed and my bushings are soft so on little bumps you can hear it squish the bushings letting the shackle tap the bottom of the bed cross brace and it makes an annoying knock. I can either swap the bushings with these poly's I already have to massage the bed cross brace right at the shackle and it would go away.

As for the front...... Ive had trouble finding springs stiff enough. My DJM's dont hold the weight enough for my liking which caused the truck to hit fenders on good dips something fierce. I went with adjustable Qa1 shocks up front and stiffened them up remedying 90% of this and make it ride so much more connected but its still too soft and I shouldnt have to hold the load of the truck on my shocks. I have been considering 454ss springs but havent really been able to come up with my spring weight to be able to aim higher. I would like to do a spring up front for a 3" drop that would have roughly a 200lb higher tension. I believe this would solve all my issues with bottoming out.

As for clearance, I havent had any issues rubbing or scrubbing anything ive driven over, did take a speed bump a little crazy one day not paying attention and it came off the back side a little fast and I bottomed out in my fender well, but no frame issues. I also have an ls 6l swap and am running the stock truck pan which is 3/4 easily lower than my front end.

I love my 5/7 drop and I wouldnt be happy if i had to raise it back up, im running 20" 2010 camaro wheels and my tires just tuck inside the fender. However, I wont argue, the truck would be more pleasant to drive if it was an inch higher

Do You still have your front sway bar on? That's the only thing I seem to get rub on with on my 5/7 with 20's, at work and can't remember the tire size but I was debating on just taking it off. Just not sure how the ride will be without it, planning on bags eventually but that's down the road still.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do You still have your front sway bar on? That's the only thing I seem to get rub on with on my 5/7 with 20's, at work and can't remember the tire size but I was debating on just taking it off. Just not sure how the ride will be without it, planning on bags eventually but that's down the road still.
yes sir... stock sway bar still in place.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Never had interference issues with the sway on my 92 or my 94. It'll depend for sure on the tire and wheel combo...too much width/too much backspacing and it's got to rub on something.

I can't see myself ever giving up the enormous handling improvement that a sway bar gives over not having one. Extreme body roll is the result. Like driving a grandpa Caddy boat with a completely worn out suspension.

Richard