Help. Did I just overfill my rearend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boulky12

Reaction score
You filled to the hole, you did it right. But based on what you have said, you have drove the truck approx 2000 miles with hardly any gear oil in the rear diff, and who knows how many miles the previous owner drove it it like this.

The capacity of that diff is 2.1 quarts. You say you added nearly 2 quarts.

If it was going to go bang, it probably already would have. At least you addressed the issue now. But as I said earlier, I wouldn't have high hopes of this rear end lasting as it was nearly empty on gear oil for who knows how long.

If it does go bang, 10 bolts are fairly in expensive to get at a wreckers, and an easy job to swap out.

Yeah good thing i caught it now. But if it does go bang ill look forward to the experience as I havent swapped a rear end yet and it'll be no more 1 wheel peel for sure lol.

Thank you guys for your help!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to see why the level was so low to begin with.
Is the pumpkin wet around the gasket? Axle tubes?
If that's all O.K., pull off the drums & see if everything is dry in there. May be that the axle seals have died. That'll mess with your brakes!

Boulky12

Reaction score
If that's all O.K., pull off the drums & see if everything is dry in there. May be that the axle seals have died. That'll mess with your brakes!

Thats a good idea. I'll peak down there after i drive her tomorrow. Thanks for the good advice. You guys are great

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But you can do killer burn outs that way!

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With some vehicles, overfilling the rear end can cause gear oil to leak out into the rear brakes. In this case, it does not seem that the oil is higher than the fill hole, so that is not an issue. However, somewhere, I read that the correct level is about 1/2 inch BELOW the fill hole.

Any experts care to comment on this issue?

For the OP, I would be concerned about the condition of the rear end gears and bearings if it really was almost two quarts low on oil. Are there any signs of leaking on the axle?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
With some vehicles, overfilling the rear end can cause gear oil to leak out into the rear brakes. In this case, it does not seem that the oil is higher than the fill hole, so that is not an issue. However, somewhere, I read that the correct level is about 1/2 inch BELOW the fill hole.

Any experts care to comment on this issue?

For the OP, I would be concerned about the condition of the rear end gears and bearings if it really was almost two quarts low on oil. Are there any signs of leaking on the axle?

I'm no expert, and I honestly don't know. If I can put my finger in there and pull out oil, she's good, if not, I add until I can lol.

I don't overthink these thing's :shrug: