Heavy Duty Shock Suggestions for 1999 C2500 For Hauling Truck Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very grateful for all the great advice about rear suspension upgrades for my '99. This is an awesome Forum! I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for heavy duty front and rear shocks for my 2WD C2500. It has 152K, a 5/1 leaf pack, 14-bolt rear, but led an easy life mostly towing a bass boat when I bought it from the widow of the original owner. The truck will be hauling a 3,500 lb. Lance Camper out back, and a trail bike of 300 lbs. up front with a new Curt hitch. I've done test runs so far, but realize I must do several suspension upgrades for safe long-distance driving. I'm good on all the great advice I've gotten here on the rear leafs (will prob. go with C3500 helper springs and/or Air lifts). But what about shocks? Right now it has good quality USA-made Mountain Ryder shocks, but the units look quite old and are rated as "light duty," so they have to go. I'd like to keep the stock coils up front. Prefer USA-made HD units, and not terribly price-conscious for this aspect. See pics below. Thanks again to all you wonderful experts here; this is a great community.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bilstein 4600s are generally regarded as some of the best available for these trucks, not cheap though. I have them on both of my '97s and I've been very happy with them. I don't do any towing to speak of though.

EDIT - I believe the Bilsteins are made in either the US or Germany, depending on which plant they come from.

DOUBLE EDIT - Apparently they have manufacturing facilities in China and Romania as well.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 4600s are generally regarded as some of the best available for these trucks, not cheap though. I have them on both of my '97s and I've been very happy with them. I don't do any towing to speak of though.

EDIT - I believe the Bilsteins are made in either the US or Germany, depending on which plant they come from.

DOUBLE EDIT - Apparently they have manufacturing facilities in China and Romania as well.
The Bilstein 4600’s I just installed on my son’s Tacoma were Made in Mexico. Still great shocks though!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm generally not a big proponent of XYZ brands when it comes to shocks...A few months ago I bought some shocks from the Rock Auto Heavy Duty category and had some bad apples:

I had previously bought some RA Gabriel "clearance" shocks for my beater K3500 fronts, for like $25 shipped for the pair, without any issues. Those were also also made in Mexico, for better or worse. My next order will very likely be Gabriel Monotubes...

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I replaced my original rear shocks about 5 years ago I just put on the NAPA brand yellow coloured ones. One of the original shocks had failed completely. My rear spring pack is so stiff, I have to say I couldn't tell the ride difference between the old ones and the new ones. I don't carry heavy loads with the truck anymore though.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, I think OP will have plenty of damping with that big ol heavy camper that anything he installs will probably feel the same!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
"Mountain Rider"? Googling tells me that's the Les Schwab brand.

I'd get Bilsteins. I replaced mine with some entry level KYBs, wore those out and put the Bilsteins back on and could feel an immediate difference in ride control.