Damn you Monroe!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my DD 06 Suburban needed new shocks. I generally don't really pay much attention to shocks to be honest.

I go to RA and select some from the their Heavy Duty category, some Monroe 34694s. They don't have matching yellow Monroe for the front so the next best option is Gabriel 58817...about the same price @ $30/each.

I installed the fronts on Monday without much hassle. Yesterday I tried to install the rear Monroe pair, and neither were fabricated right. The steel bushing on one of them was not centered, so it couldn't fit in the shock mount bracket. I tried wacking it with a 5 lb hammer, but nothing. I had to cut the bushing flush with the rubber grommet with an angle grinder. On the other one, the steel bushing was not only not centered, but deformed! Seriously?! What luck! I had to again cut flush and then pound/ream/cuss the hole so the bolt would go through the hole. 15 minute job takes 1.5 hours.

Gezz, why can't stuff be done right anymore! Mind, you the Monroes were made in the USA! The Gabriels were made south of the border. Doh!

Attachments

• IMG_20210714_210951062[1].jpg
    IMG_20210714_210951062[1].jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210714_210947614[1].jpg
    IMG_20210714_210947614[1].jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210714_211008014[1].jpg
    IMG_20210714_211008014[1].jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
This is the downside of buying online. Can't see what ya got until ya get it....
We sold Monroe shocks for 15 years, thousands of sets, and I never saw any that bad! Guess they're not what they used to be. Or more likely, somebody F'ed up at the plant. Back in the day their main plant was in Monroe, Michigan. Is it still?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A hydraulic press and some tooling would slide those sleeves back where they belong.

A tapered punch and hammer would re-round the bent one.

None of that should be needed. You bought defective product. Ideally, they should have been returned.

Grinding the sleeves ruined those shocks. The steel sleeve has to be long enough to prevent the shock mount from collapsing onto the rubber.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the downside of buying online. Can't see what ya got until ya get it....
We sold Monroe shocks for 15 years, thousands of sets, and I never saw any that bad! Guess they're not what they used to be. Or more likely, somebody F'ed up at the plant. Back in the day their main plant was in Monroe, Michigan. Is it still?
Got 4 Monroe's for my JK, from Amazon, for this winter, looking good Mr. Carter . Now I can quote it (Damn you! Damn you all to Hell!
You must be registered for see images attach
)

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I dont remember how but I think the front shocks on my 2 door are Monroes and if memory serves me right I paid like 13 bucks each for them. I remember laughing saying "well they will get me through the winter. that was 4 years ago...

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bilsteins on my 96 K2500; wasn't any wavering on that decision.
Planning to try out Ranchos on my 00 K3500 only because my younger brother left two brand new in box shocks behind when he moved back to Iowa, and I can get a set for the front for about $140 from the local NAPA

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont ignore the godawfull welds.
Even if they did fit, thems are junk.
I rarely order anything of the idiotnet anymore.
At least at the parts store I can see the level of garbage before I pay for it.
You may save a few bucks if it all goes right.
But that depends on the manufacturer fabricating it correctly.
And if Amazon sends you a box of Hello Kitty flip flops instead of The Nissan coils you ordered.
Then you need to make sure a tweaker doesnt steal the box off of the front porch.
So some of the Amazon drivers have taken to hiding the package in the bushes.
So you need to make sure the sprinkler system is turned off before you come home and easter egg hunt for whatever the **** Mr space billionaire decided to drop on you.
But its just so easy right?
We dont have to actually interact with anyone.
If we **** up, or they **** up
Nobody will ever no
And Amazon creates jobs right?
********. Amazon creates horrific drone jobs.
And they invest heavilly into A-I technollogy.
To replace people.
But thats okay, AI is our path to freedom from labor.
Like we are all gonna end up down at the park, eating grapes and drinking wine, while we play the ******* Lute and contemplate our existance and meaning.
Buy local, buy union
While you still have a choice.