Heavy Duty Shock Suggestions for 1999 C2500 For Hauling Truck Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does that truck have the payload (or CCC = Cargo Carrying Capacity) needed for a camper that heavy? I’d kinda be shocked if it did, as 3500# sounds like 1-ton dually territory.

Axle and/or tire ratings are usually the limiting OEM factors between 2500 and 3500 series for instance. Maybe you’ve already accounted for that, but just want to make sure you’re not trying to frost a hollow cake here.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Again, for added Heavy Duty performance and Safety concerns, and if it is in your budget, you could add
1 PAIR TIMBREN GMRC25HD REAR SUSPENSION ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM SPACERS GMRCK25S at the cost of $225.00 & 1 PAIR TIMBREN GMFC1588H FRONT SUSPENSION ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM SPACERS GMRTT35C at the expense of $333.00 (prices could vary depending on your location) if you so desire. Good luck with your decision and happy safe trails.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does that truck have the payload (or CCC = Cargo Carrying Capacity) needed for a camper that heavy? I’d kinda be shocked if it did, as 3500# sounds like 1-ton dually territory.

Axle and/or tire ratings are usually the limiting OEM factors between 2500 and 3500 series for instance. Maybe you’ve already accounted for that, but just want to make sure you’re not trying to frost a hollow cake here.

This is a harsh reality, but true. If the camper is really 3500 pounds, then I would expect the truck to be a good 1000 pounds overloaded, from a legal standpoint.
I imagine that a 3/4 ton 2wd truck with the full float axle, 265 tires, full tank and driver, is going to weigh 5500 - 6000 pounds.
Personally, I think the truck can handle it but it legally it could be a problem depending on where you travel.
When I carried my camper, I tipped the scale at 7800 pounds, my GVWR is 6600. In Alberta and Saskatchewan, they don't take this too seriously. I was told by an RCMP officer, they will generally only pull someone over if they "look" overloaded, ie ass end of the truck sagging on the ground. I understand it would be an entirely different situation in British Columbia where they are much stickier about GVWR.
OP, take your truck/camper to a highway scale and check out your front axle, rear axle and combined weight. I am sure you will be under each individual GAWR but over the GVWR.

mr_josh

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Timbrens in the rear on our camper setup and they definitely add a lot of overall stability to our setup. Our loaded camper and truck are just a shade under 10k lbs though so that might end up being lighter than OP’s setup.

I have had a lot of good experiences with Monroe Gas Magnum shocks on previous heavy configurations and put a new set on mine last winter in preparation for our trip across the Midwest. They did really well until we got to some of the lousier highways back east and then they were clearly overworked. Cornering still felt very solid but I was not loving the porpoising I was feeling on certain road surfaces. Will be interested in hearing the experience with the monomax.

When it comes to GVW- OP has an eight lug 2wd regular cab so they’re starting with a fairly light configuration. But yeah- going over the truck’s GVWR is often a fact of life for truck camper owners. As has been mentioned- keeping it under the individual axle ratings is best practice. Keeping your equipment in tip-top shape is essential.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 ECSB K1500 with 10 ply tires, full tank and me in it is very close to 6000 lbs. Legally, that only allows me 600 lbs payload. :hmm:
The 95 sales brochure says 2099 lbs as max payload. I prefer to use GMs calculator. lol.

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, the Camper dry is rated at 2,700 lbs; the GVWR of my truck is 8,600; I weighed the truck alone this weekend and it's 5150 with me and a full tank of gas in it. It's a 2Wd with the HD 10.5 Axle and 8-lug wheels, and I intend on Air Lifts or stock 3500 helper springs. I'm not getting a 1-ton truck; will make do with what I have. Tires are fairly new from the former owner, but only 4-ply so will replace with BFG AT 10-ply. Does anyone know if a 10-inch rim with proper offset will fit neatly under the rear quarters? What offset? How big of a rear tire could I go in that instance? Thanks again for all of your considered thoughts! P

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Surprised but also glad your truck only weighs 5150 lbs. Definitely gives you more capacity to work with.
When i do go camping now (seldom) i use a 2010 chev 2500HD. I replaced the stock aluminum wheels with the factory steel wheels from a one ton (16 x 7) and I use Hankook ATM 265 75 R16 tires rated at 3415 lbs each.
I have no experience with 10" wide rims. Do you know what capacity your rims are rated at? They are nice looking wheels.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dry weight of the camper is a nice idea, but rarely accurate since (1) nobody hauls them empty, and (2) those numbers are often underrated from the factory. At some point you should weigh your rig fully loaded for camping and see where you stand, so you know if the components of your truck can safely handle the weight.

Anything else in your truck deducts from CCC/payload also… although with a regular cab and the bed fully occupied by the camper, that extra amount would be minimal.