Has Anyone Converted to a Mechanical Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
For the record, carb swapped. Considering changing to a mechanical fuel pump for my application. Don't worry, yes my push rod hole is drilled and the mounting holes are tapped.

Now onto my question, mainly dealing with the tank. Is there just a pick-up/return tube/vent that can be stuck in place of the factory pump? Is there an aftermarket one out there, or has anyone fabricated their own?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I am also interested in this, i was going to attempt to pull through the stock pump, not sure how that would work.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this when I put my carbed engine in. What I did was take the fuel pump portion of the in tank assembly. I then rigged a rubber hose to act as pick up tube. I will see if I can find pictures of it. I am going back to the in tank fuel pump with a return style regulator because if the trucks sits a couple days without starting, it takes forever to crank and start up because there is no pressure holding the fuel in the lines.

You must be registered for see images

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to use rubber hose. My fuel would eat through it.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you running E85? If so, I have to imagine you can run a metal hardline in place of the rubber hose

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yes that is the plan. Even the little bit of ethanol in the current fuel ate through the rubber pump connector on my truck a few months back.

When I get to that point, and pull the bed back off, I'll look into just fabricating a completely new stainless pick-up assembly.

Roscoe78

Reaction score
I did this when I put my carbed engine in. What I did was take the fuel pump portion of the in tank assembly. I then rigged a rubber hose to act as pick up tube. I will see if I can find pictures of it. I am going back to the in tank fuel pump with a return style regulator because if the trucks sits a couple days without starting, it takes forever to crank and start up because there is no pressure holding the fuel in the lines.

You must be registered for see images
Can I get a picture of how you did your fuel pump job asap please

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not that it's impossible, here's something to think about: the OE fuel lines run along the drivers side of the frame, then over and onto the top of the tranny. Then up to the back of the intake manifold.
You'd need to either tie in there, run down around the hot exhaust, to the mechanical pump, then back up and around the accessory drive, around the water pump and to the carb inlet.
Or you'd need to tie in at the filter, cross over to the pass side, past the removable trans x-member, then past the starter and the hot exhaust, to the pump.
Not to mention removing or plugging the return line.

Here's a suggestion, leave the pump in the tank, install a pressure regulator on the firewall, and have it tied into the return line.

Roscoe78

Reaction score
Not that it's impossible, here's something to think about: the OE fuel lines run along the drivers side of the frame, then over and onto the top of the tranny. Then up to the back of the intake manifold.
You'd need to either tie in there, run down around the hot exhaust, to the mechanical pump, then back up and around the accessory drive, around the water pump and to the carb inlet.
Or you'd need to tie in at the filter, cross over to the pass side, past the removable trans x-member, then past the starter and the hot exhaust, to the pump.
Not to mention removing or plugging the return line.

Here's a suggestion, leave the pump in the tank, install a pressure regulator on the firewall, and have it tied into the return line.
What kind of pressure regulator do I need for this job to work

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of pressure regulator do I need for this job to work
An adjustable one, one that can regulate down to 5-7 psi.
I'd also suggest installing a fuel pressure gauge as well... makes it real easy to dial in the required pressure.
Check with Summit Racing.

I just reread your message. If you're asking for a part number or manufacturer recommendation, I cant help you. I prefer fuel injection for ease of cold starting, winter driving, and elimination of vapor lock during the summer.