half decent sound system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im wanting to get a half decent sound system. atm i have just the factory system and a yardsale special 10" sub that we hooked up to see if its works. im not wanting anything super expensive to rattle the truck, but i want to enjoy the music when i drive it. the HU ill be using is a jvc kd s-36. im not sure what amp to get or speakers/subs. im wanting to replace the back speakers with 2 subs and eventually replace the 2 front speakers. would sony xplods be good? i was thinking of 2 sony 10" xplods but not sure what amp to get for them

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Check out your local Craigslist ads. That's what I did for my amp and sub, and I got great deals. Make sure you do your homework, and check out what you are buying, it's easier to get screwed over on there, but you can also build a mild system for really cheap if you find the good stuff.

It depends on how you have them set up, but if you don't want to rattle the truck, then dual 10's are overkill. Heck, I have an 8" shallow under a seat, and it gets more than enough bass for me. Make sure the JVC HU you're looking at has enough RCA outputs for the amplifiers or subs, whatever you will be putting in. Also make sure it has a good way to control the bass. Standalone subwoofer control on the headunit is nice to have, because that doesn't change any other speakers at all, just allows you to turn the sub(s) up or down.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
For wiring diagrams, go to 'Crutchfield.com'. They're free! It's also a great site to read reviews of any stereo equipment that you may be considering from Craigslist, or ebay.
If you're are comfortable buying from pawn shops, they can be a good source for stereo equipment, too. Although many won't get involved with this, anymore.
You'll be best off with one 4 channel amp for your speakers, and a seperate amp for the sub. This will make dialing-in the cross-overs much easier.
In my rcsb, I have 1 10" dual voice coil sub, wired down to 2 ohms, 2 6" mid-subs, & 2 6.5" components in the doors & the 1.5" tweeters in the covers for the outside mirror access. 600 watts to the sub, 500 divided among the other speakers. Alpine H/U. 12 disc CD/MP3 stacker. (Soon to be replaced by a Sat. radio reciever) All bought through Craigslist or ebay, including the 4ga wiring kit. Into it for under $750.00. If I bought all this new, it would be way over $2500.00.
I can irritate the neighbours a block away, but why? I like my system so I don't advertise it by cranking it up around home. Call me paranoid, but, you just never know who's lurking. Makes for better relations with neighbours, too. Most of mine don't even know what the sound system is capable of. It does get louder as the road & wind noise increases. Love it on the frequent long road trips.
(SONY for the house, not the truck. But that's just my biased opinion)

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with SONY anything, truck or house. You'd be better off with Kenwood or Polk door speakers and a JL audio 10". That one sub would be plenty for your truck. I prefer a sealed box versus ported because you get tighter bass, which is what I want. Ported will get you more bass, but it won't be as crisp.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. You could go spend $600/pr for Focal component door speakers...but do you really need them? No. I would stick with Kenwood Excelon's for the door and the JL for sub...IMO.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
For cheap subs with just a little added bass the rockford fosgate P1 or P2 are fairly good just run it on a 250 watt amp, or you can get mtx 4500s with a 500 watt amp

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
what amp should i use? i want to upgrade the 2 front and 2 rear speakers eventually

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I got a bass inferno in my truck which I paid 160 for a 1500 watt, I think the 500 watt is around 100 and its a good amp

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
would a jensen 600 watt work with a p1 punch? im not sure of the model because its my dad and he might give to me, but i know for sure its not new, but it still works good.

and what size speakers should i get for the front?

Last edited:

justin12234

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

how about that with a JVC KD-R520 and a 600w jensen amp?

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
600 watt amp would work just keep it turned to about half its power capability unless you get 2 subs, as far as head unit you wanna make sure it has the pre outs for an amp, Boss audio equipment is decent. Does the amp have a bass knob with it?