GrimsterGMCs Kiwi1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much like Road Trip I enjoy seeing so many different modifications folks come up with for their rigs. Your imagination and abilities are first class. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you all for the compliments. I am currently working on a roof console to match the main console, I am fitting all of my switches up there as it is easier to look up than down beside me while driving. It will also be a good way to hold the roof lining up at the front as the self adhesive Velcro tape just melts in the heat of summer with a black cab and hangs down. I will be posting some pictures soon, stay tuned...

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have finally had a chance to do something to my truck this week. I have been planning on making an overhead console but have been so busy with work. Finally this week I got a break, and with summer starting the days are getting longer, so I have spent the last 4 days working on it. I had all of my switches mounted in my centre console but that meant looking down to see them while I am driving. I had also fitted a new roof liner and it would always drop down above the windscreen when the adhesive on the Velcro tape would melt in the heat so the console would hold that up as well. I started with a flat sheet of 1.6mm Ali and machined the holes and cutouts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then it got bends and rolls to give it the final shape.

Since I had been adding new circuits from when I first got the truck and kept added more over time, I decided to completely redo the wiring for all accessories and have them all fed from the second battery and leave all of the factory intact. As the wiring going up into the roof console had limited space to get up there I decided to use one power feed and 9 core communication cable to only trigger a set of relays in the centre console that would handle the bigger currents. I started out by drawing a full wiring schematic so it was easier to keep track and also for future problem solving if needed.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I was at it I also remade the front panel on the centre console. The position of the reversing camera scree was partly obscured by the steering wheel so I moved it across, and also moved the T-Case lights across for the same reason. Here is a before and after shot.

The next task was fastening the roof console to roof of the cab. This was a bit nerve racking as the inner panel is only 10mm away from the outer panel and I didn't want to accidentally drill though both. I used riv-nuts in the holes and threaded long machine screws with the heads cut of and a lock nut to hold them in place.

Once I drilled some holes in my roof lining a run the wires up the passengers side a-pillar and across the roof to were the console would go. Once the liner was back in I fitted the console. I used back nuts to position it and lock nuts to hold it in place. The switch panel hinges at the back and there are 2 small screws that hold the front up, so to get at the wiring you just let it hang down and it's all there to see.

And this here is the nearly finished console, I still have to connect all the wires up but after 4 days of working on it I needed a break, so that is next weekends job.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I was at it I also remade the front panel on the centre console. The position of the reversing camera scree was partly obscured by the steering wheel so I moved it across, and also moved the T-Case lights across for the same reason. Here is a before and after shot.

The next task was fastening the roof console to roof of the cab. This was a bit nerve racking as the inner panel is only 10mm away from the outer panel and I didn't want to accidentally drill though both. I used riv-nuts in the holes and threaded long machine screws with the heads cut of and a lock nut to hold them in place.

Once I drilled some holes in my roof lining a run the wires up the passengers side a-pillar and across the roof to were the console would go. Once the liner was back in I fitted the console. I used back nuts to position it and lock nuts to hold it in place. The switch panel hinges at the back and there are 2 small screws that hold the front up, so to get at the wiring you just let it hang down and it's all there to see.

And this here is the nearly finished console, I still have to connect all the wires up but after 4 days of working on it I needed a break, so that is next weekends job.
It really looks like a truck that’s prepared for just about whatever. You’ve got some great fabrication skills.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and with summer starting the days are getting longer, so I have spent the last 4 days working on it.

That's right. You really are on the other side of the planet. For me, winter is knocking on the
door -- this is the snow shower I saw looking out my window last Wednesday morning, on November 1st:

It didn't stick. But just in case I forgot old man winter just gave me a friendly tip of the hat.

Enjoy the summer. The older I get, the faster they fly by. :0)

PS: Nice work. I can appreciate the line-of-sight improvements, and
really like the roof console. Better ergonomics = less frustration.
More of a custom cockpit geared to your needs instead of a generic
man/machine interface. :waytogo:

Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's right. You really are on the other side of the planet. For me, winter is knocking on the
door -- this is what I saw looking out my window last Wednesday morning, on November 1st:

It didn't stick. But just in case I forgot old man winter just gave me a friendly tip of the hat.

Enjoy the summer. The older I get, the faster they fly by. :0)

PS: Nice work. I can appreciate the line-of-sight improvements, and
really like the roof console. Better ergonomics = less frustration.
More of a custom cockpit geared to your needs instead of a generic
man/machine interface. :waytogo:
We don't get snow where I am, worst is a couple of frosts. We range from 35C at the hottest in Summer to -2C during the coldest in Winter so it's fairly mild all round.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got so many boxes sitting in the storage shed with truck parts in them that I figured I will just pick one part a weekend and start putting them in the truck. So last weekend was the fan blade. The steel 5 blades create a huge amount of noise and having read about the 11 blade plastic ones that are a direct replacement I decided to replace it. What a difference in noise levels, previously I couldn't hear that actual engine over the fan when under the hood. The engine has 275k miles on it, has compression tested at 175 and doesn't make any valve train noise, and all you hear is the injectors ticking as they working, it runs like new. First drive down the road and while the exhaust has a loud rumble under acceleration it sounded like it had stalled when I took my foot off the gas, I should have done this ages ago. The downside, there is always a downside, I discovered the belt tensioner was stuffed and leaning out on an awkward angle so I have ordered a new one before it eats the belt.