Transfer Case Lever Repostion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I don't no if any of you have trouble reaching the transfer Case lever in the earlier trucks but I always found it to far forward and low to reach when bouncing around on a rough stretch of track. Since I have built a full sized centre console I decided to make a remote that would position the lever higher and further back so it sits beside my B&M shifter. I cut the original lever off and fitted a connecting rod to the new lever. It had to drop down low near the floor to get the correct leverage to match the original travel and welded a long bolt with a thread to match the old knob to keep it looking original.
You must be registered for see images attach

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I don't no if any of you have trouble reaching the transfer Case lever in the earlier trucks but I always found it to far forward and low to reach when bouncing around on a rough stretch of track. Since I have built a full sized centre console I decided to make a remote that would position the lever higher and further back so it sits beside my B&M shifter. I cut the original lever off and fitted a connecting rod to the new lever. It had to drop down low near the floor to get the correct leverage to match the original travel and welded a long bolt with a thread to match the old knob to keep it looking original.

The consol is a work in progress and this is the 3rd version with more changes to come. I like the B&M shifter mechanism but the boot they claim to be leather is definitely not and started looking like this after only a short time.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just diggin' the 4wd indicator, the boots stink. an upholstery guy might be able to do one on leather or at least some better materials.
Thanks, I didn't want to use the original as it was so big, but needed something obvious so came up with that.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I watch of vids on the tube about guys in Nz. and Aus. doing the overlanding thing. Looks like your rig is pretty well set up for that. i have a topper for mine , so also diggin the roof rack.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to insult. a closer look it looks camo or something, at first glance looked like vinyl that the outer covering is coming off
That's all good mate, but you're right it is vinyl even though they advertise as leather, it started peeling the outer layer almost straight away.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watch of vids on the tube about guys in Nz. and Aus. doing the overlanding thing. Looks like your rig is pretty well set up for that. i have a topper for mine , so also diggin the roof rack.
The roof rack I made myself from Aluminium box section to keep the weight down low. I mainly use it to pick up Aluminium extrusions for work so didn't have to be real robust but it's still strong though. I mounted an LED flood light on each corner and ran the wiring through the box section to keep it safe from pinching. They allow me to flood a campsite with light if I have to set up after dark.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The roof rack I made myself from Aluminium box section to keep the weight down low. I mainly use it to pick up Aluminium extrusions for work so didn't have to be real robust but it's still strong though. I mounted an LED flood light on each corner and ran the wiring through the box section to keep it safe from pinching. They allow me to flood a campsite with light if I have to set up after dark.
You guy on that side if the globe take that overlanding thing seriously. Quite of bit of outside the box thinking going on as far as products and modifications going on. Off road ready caravans etc. I saw all the switches and figured you have a bunch of light.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You guy on that side if the globe take that overlanding thing seriously. Quite of bit of outside the box thinking going on as far as products and modifications going on. Off road ready caravans etc. I saw all the switches and figured you have a bunch of light.
There's so many remote areas in Australia and New Zealand, and much of them are desert or nearly so. Gotta be rugged and prepared to survive out there....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit