GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
1995 bell housings are not specific to that year, they do swap, its a rumour I just finished using stuff out of a 1995 gm pickup into 1988 chev pickup mainly motor, even so if the bellhousing was different the motor wouldn't of bolted up to my turbo400.

bell housing is same, transmission plugs are a one year only.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rear air on Suburbans was around since at least the late eighties, I can't see why they would have dropped it and picked it back up with the GMT400 in mid production. I have both a '89 and a '97 Suburban, and both have rear air. Perhaps it was only the Yukons and Tahoes that picked it up in '98?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear air on Suburbans was around since at least the late eighties, I can't see why they would have dropped it and picked it back up with the GMT400 in mid production. I have both a '89 and a '97 Suburban, and both have rear air. Perhaps it was only the Yukons and Tahoes that picked it up in '98?

I hadn't notice that line before...

1998:
An updated airbag system was used on the steering wheel.
PassLock is introduced to deter vehicle theft.
Rear A/C was introduced in 4 door Tahoes, Suburbans, and Yukons.

...but you are correct. All GMT-400 Suburbans could be had with rear air. The '95-'97 4-door Tahoes/Yukons did not have it though. Only the '98+ did.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't notice that line before...

...but you are correct. All GMT-400 Suburbans could be had with rear air. The '95-'97 4-door Tahoes/Yukons did not have it though. Only the '98+ did.

So who's right. I'm confused.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
It was only an option for Chevys to have the metal banner on the tailgate, GMCs also could have it.
'88-'91 they had the big GMC letters on the tailgate, some had the metal on the tailgate. '92-'97 had GMCTruck on the lower right corner of the tailgate. And '98 and up just said GMC on the lower right corner of the tailgate.
88-91 Stepsides didn't ever have a metal band, they either had no band or a black sticker across the tailgate.

'88-'89 door panels were slightly different than the '90-'94 door panels.
88-89 trucks had black, square PWDL switches. 90-94 used grey switches. They could be had in the earlier square style for lower packaged trucks, or the more common rounded style in Silverados and SLE Sierras.

88-89 used black dash bezels, HVAC, Stereo and switches throughout. In 90 they changed to the better known grey
88-89 trucks had quad sealed beam headlights
88 trucks did not have a z71 option
Fog lights were only available 89-97 for some reason (with the exception of Limited/z71 Tahoes)

Last edited: