GMT400 History

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88-91 Stepsides didn't ever have a metal band, they either had no band or a black sticker across the tailgate.

My '91 had the black band.

88-89 trucks had black, square PWDL switches. 90-94 used grey switches. They could be had in the earlier square style for lower packaged trucks, or the more common rounded style in Silverados and SLE Sierras.

I know the '88-'89 Chevys had a badge on the door panels denoting the trim level (Cheyenne, Silverado), did GMC do the same?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Some more.

1996: The aluminum wheels went to smooth center caps as opposed to the caps with the fake lug nuts. You could also identify '96+ trucks by the slight kink in the exhaust tip.

1997: While the 2-door Tahoe continued through the '99 model year, '97 was the final year for the 2-door Yukon.

1998: The first year for rear A/C in 4-door Tahoes/Yukons.

1999: The final year for GMT-400 Yukons and most Tahoes.

2000: 2 GMT-400 carryover Tahoe models continued in 2000; Limited and Z71. Limiteds were 2wd and only available in black with 2-tone gray leather interiors. They shared suspension, brakes and a few other mechanical bits with the Police package Tahoes. Luggage rack delete, painted front and rear bumpers, painted grille, fog lights, a ground effects kit, 16" alloy wheels and a 120 mph speedometer round out the major features. Tahoe Z71s were 4wd and available in Victory Red, Indigo Blue, Light Pewter and Emerald Green. They also had painted bumpers and grilles as well as fog lights and specific 16" alloy wheels.

You sure about this? My '95 has rear air. Our mechanic owned it before we did, and I heard that he put it in himself, but the A/C shop said that would've been impractical and incredibly expensive. Anybody know for sure? Is there a way to tell if it was added after?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You sure about this? My '95 has rear air. Our mechanic owned it before we did, and I heard that he put it in himself, but the A/C shop said that would've been impractical and incredibly expensive. Anybody know for sure? Is there a way to tell if it was added after?

I am absolutely 1000% positively sure. Take some pics of your controls, but I KNOW your '95 did not come with it.'98 and '99 only.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I am absolutely 1000% positively sure. Take some pics of your controls, but I KNOW your '95 did not come with it.'98 and '99 only.

Alright, here they are. If you look closely, the roof console up front has the blank plate, without the auxiliary controls to turn on rear air and such, so it's only A/C in the back and they always have fan control. Also, my rear A/C knob sticks out, anybody know if there's a way to get it flush with the surrounding piece? It works like it is, I would just like it better that way, much cleaner. Anyways, here's the pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

Makes me feel kinda special.....:deal::naughty:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like they did a good job with it, but without already knowing it's not factory, the lack of rear controls on the front overhead console is the dead giveaway that it's not factory.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

What is with that piece running from your grab handle and infront of the dome light? Is that to conceal a seam in the headliner or something?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. We've had the truck so long, I just never really noticed it. I'm guessing it's a seam in the headliner, what I don't know is if it's factory or if it is from when they added the rear A/C. Could it be the headliner in front is the same as a pickup, and the rear piece gets added to it?