OEM Valve Cover Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For once this isn't a practical question, just satisfying a personal curiosity.

Most of the engines I've seen in these trucks have an oil cap mounted directly on the valve cover, but occasionally I see OEM valve covers with a neck that sticks up at the oil fill. I've seen it more on Vortec engines than TBI engines, but it seems like I've seen them mixed in across both over time. I tracked down a set of these for my new Vortec heads because it looks like it may make it a little easier to fill the oil, but interestingly I never found any aftermarket valve covers that have it. I thought maybe it would be a part that screws into the other valve covers and then you can add the cap on top of it, but now that I have one it seems to actually be built into the cover itself.

What options of trucks had the filler neck vs. the cap attached directly to the cover? Was it 2WD vs. 4x4? 1500 vs. 2500 vs. 3500 etc.? When I see others post pics with them I rarely see specific truck info alongside their engine questions, so I'm curious why some engines got it and some didn't. My truck was originally a 2WD with a 305 and no filler neck prior to my engine/frame swap, but has had a few random TBI 350 engines swapped in since then. None of the TBI 350 engines I've had came with the filler neck, and I've seen a lot of Vortecs that didn't have it either.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My dad had a 96 c1500 short box, and I'm pretty sure the filler was a plastic neck that screwed in just like a cap, and then the cap screwed into it. I know I've seen that someplace, as I thought it a bad design, since I think the whole thing twisted when I tried to remove the cap... it was also kinda oily, but my father doesn't clean engines, either. I didn't ever do much to that truck, and it's been gone for awhile.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Most of the engines I've seen in these trucks have an oil cap mounted directly on the valve cover, but occasionally I see OEM valve covers with a neck that sticks up at the oil fill. I've seen it more on Vortec engines than TBI engines, but it seems like I've seen them mixed in across both over time. I tracked down a set of these for my new Vortec heads because it looks like it may make it a little easier to fill the oil, but interestingly I never found any aftermarket valve covers that have it. I thought maybe it would be a part that screws into the other valve covers and then you can add the cap on top of it, but now that I have one it seems to actually be built into the cover itself.

What options of trucks had the filler neck vs. the cap attached directly to the cover? Was it 2WD vs. 4x4? 1500 vs. 2500 vs. 3500 etc.? When I see others post pics with them I rarely see specific truck info alongside their engine questions, so I'm curious why some engines got it and some didn't. My truck was originally a 2WD with a 305 and no filler neck prior to my engine/frame swap, but has had a few random TBI 350 engines swapped in since then. None of the TBI 350 engines I've had came with the filler neck, and I've seen a lot of Vortecs that didn't have it either.
The filler is similar to the one on the LS. The LS is a ~1/4 turn snap fit where the later vortec threads into the oil filler cap spot. I have never seen a factory Vortec truck without the extended filler neck. The vans used a different setup, filler tube presses into a large grommet. The Vortec filler will fit TBI valve covers as long as the valve cover uses a threaded cap. The biggest difference I have seen in Vortec and TBI valve covers on a truck is the attachment bolts and the size of the PCV baffle boxes inside. The baffle box size can make the larger one hit full roller rockers. Some of the bolts are 10mm heads, some are 3/8" and others have Torx bit flanged cap screws.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

id imagine vans had a neck that sits up.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if the cap is the same size as the 3800 series 2, almost any 3800 series 2 had an extension in order to put the oil fill above the beauty cover same with series 3.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

i've added them to almost all my SBC engines that have centre bolt valve covers. it makes adding oil alot easier especially without a funnel. i think the p/n was 12553514

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Being discontinued is probably why it was missing from the sites I checked (Amazon, Auto Zone, Advance etc.), but Googling by part number does show several sites that list it. I'd say a lot of people have added or removed them over time, or swapped valve covers altogether, depending on their personal preference. That would be why I've seen them so inconsistently. Mine is seized from years of gunk buildup, so when it didn't unscrew I just assumed it was somehow pressed in without trying to challenge it.

Thanks for the info!

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they are threaded in, same as the oil cap. I'd say if the cover is removed with some careful heating with. propane torch you could remove them. i don't believe I've ever seen them on the 88-94 years only 96+