G117 ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beefy k1500

Reaction score
looking to see if anyone knows the cab/firewall end of the ground 117. It goes from the cylinder head to the firewall in the engine bay on my 1995 k1500 but seems to be the route of all my issues. Looking to see if anyone knows where it's at in the cab and where all the interior grounds tie into g117 before I just start ripping into it. This bad ground is effecting wiper motor, shift indicator, blower, 4x4, transmission. I've narrowed it down to this.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That ground ties into everything... meaning it's bolted to the firewall "as" a ground. It grounds the whole cab. If that is the ground issue, first make sure you have a good ground from the battery to the engine block. If not that ground strap on the head to where all does nothing.. most of us add a ground from the battery to the fender area next to the battery. That way the body gets direct grounded not via the motor first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can't recall 100% if a 1995 is like this but 1988-1994 are, and I'm mostly sure 1996-up are, too - there should be two straps. One goes from the cylinder head to the firewall, and another goes from that same spot on the firewall down to the frame. You need both.

Richard

Beefy k1500

Reaction score
I can't recall 100% if a 1995 is like this but 1988-1994 are, and I'm mostly sure 1996-up are, too - there should be two straps. One goes from the cylinder head to the firewall, and another goes from that same spot on the firewall down to the frame. You need both.

Richard
I will add one regardless just to be sure but the frame has one on the passenger side below the manifold to the firewall, beside the ecm harness wires and heater core lines that go into the cab. On another note both straps off the battery have been cleaned (to fender and to the block) and checkout fine. So what your saying magimerlin is that they don't all tie in together in the cab harness at some point they just attach to the firewall?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are multiple points under the dash.. but yes they all get grounded(in the end) to either the cab or dash bracing which all get grounded through the cabs ground which is that one on the fire wall..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Bottom right where the heater core hoses enter the cab goes to the back of passenger side head. They rot off early

Sent from my E6790TM using Tapatalk