Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey look my new gas tank support came in. Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend so I can get at my frame for some welding

You must be registered for see images attach

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started the marine Tex repair on my cracked/broken stepsides. Pitch in any input if you guys have some

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope this marine epoxy holds up. Not too sure about using the chicken wire type metal for a backing but I'll learn thru trial and error

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also anyone have an idea of where to buy new step supports that bolt to the box? I seen that lmc had them but for like 140 a piece and I'll need all 4 seems pricey for a stamped piece of metal..

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removing the leaf shackle bracket to do some rust removal while I install my 2" lowering shackles.

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also anyone have an idea of where to buy new step supports that bolt to the box? I seen that lmc had them but for like 140 a piece and I'll need all 4 seems pricey for a stamped piece of metal..

Looks like you only need the flat portion which I would think would be easy enough to make out of either a piece of sheet metal or possibly something a bit heavier like 1/8" plate.

IF you decided sheet metal You could use the old pieces as patterns and get some MDF to make a 'mold' so you could bend the edges down like original for strength.

I myself would opt for the 1/8" plate. That would probably last the longest especially if coated with POR-15 or FluidFilm.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I decided to trace them out and transfer it to
Looks like you only need the flat portion which I would think would be easy enough to make out of either a piece of sheet metal or possibly something a bit heavier like 1/8" plate.

IF you decided sheet metal You could use the old pieces as patterns and get some MDF to make a 'mold' so you could bend the edges down like original for strength.

I myself would opt for the 1/8" plate. That would probably last the longest especially if coated with POR-15 or FluidFilm.
I think I'm gonna take your advice and pick up some 1/8 inch plate and trace it out. On another note I removed my shackle hangers to clean up the rust and decided just to replace them

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I decided to trace them out and transfer it to

I think I'm gonna take your advice and pick up some 1/8 inch plate and trace it out. On another note I removed my shackle hangers to clean up the rust and decided just to replace them

My way of thinking on the plate is, it seems these truck frame and associated bracketry are pretty dang light in comparison to the previous generation (of which I own 2) so the results are frames, cross members and brackets that are lighter built, getting even lighter as the holes develop due to rust.

Are those hangers and shackles the 2WD versions like was mentioned earlier in this post?

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My way of thinking on the plate is, it seems these truck frame and associated bracketry are pretty dang light in comparison to the previous generation (of which I own 2) so the results are frames, cross members and brackets that are lighter built, getting even lighter as the holes develop due to rust.

Are those hangers and shackles the 2WD versions like was mentioned earlier in this post?
I don't believe

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't believe they are just for the 2wd version. I think they are the same. Idk to be honest. But the hangers I brought in to the parts store just to be sure they were the same