Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad news! I'm grinding away at my cracked stepside where it bolts to the frame support. Seems like there is just too much delamination going on. What do you guys thunk? Will I get away with the marine Tex or should I look for new box sides?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now purchased. That make things much easier on me. Now only if I could find the crossmember that is right behind the cab above the gas tank that in between the frame rails? I can't find sh** on the lmc website. But maybe I don't know the correct name for the part

IF it's the part I'm thinking of with rivets attaching it to the main rails, you may have to go to the wrecking yard or make your own.

This video series I watched on the utoob (after I discovered how bad my frame was) shows building pretty much an entire frame for a GMT400 from the boxed sectioned area for the front suspension. Including the cross members.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was afraid someone would say that. Well I guess I'm gonna weld up the old one then. Any idea how to keep the frame rails from moving while I take it out? 2x4? Where would one properly place it on jack stands?

lessersivad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was afraid someone would say that. Well I guess I'm gonna weld up the old one then. Any idea how to keep the frame rails from moving while I take it out? 2x4? Where would one properly place it on jack stands?

When I removed mine to weld in the small box-in areas on the frame kicks, I simply found a piece of small angle iron and set it on top of the rail like this ^.

Then welded it in place. Making sure I welded it in such a manner as to be able get at it with a cutoff disc.

As for the jack stand placement. I would say anywhere that the frame will be sitting level. I placed my hoist lift pads under the leaf springs just in front of the axle tubes. Not saying it was the correct place but that's where I put 'em. But I'm dealing with a bare bones frame also.