Fog light placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you use your low beams or high beams more often? Generally speaking fogs are used to aid in use of the low beams. And driving lights are always for use in conjunction with the high beams.

I personally find a driving beam a more useful light, being it helps reach out in further past your high beams. And can be utilized the most often IMO. Where as fog lights are optimal in inclimate weather. IIRC Dick Capek used to offer a lamp that had both a driving and fog beam, in one housing. I believe PIAA still has a lamp like that.

As for budget, your going to be pretty hard pressed to get a good complete set up for under a hundred dollar bill. With that being said, Hella makes there 500 series which is a great light for the money. And is available in both a fog and driving beam flavor, as well as a free form and diffused lens options. The 500 line runs in the 80 dollar range, and is a good unit that would be worth looking into.

IMO if you find yourself driving on rural roads at night more often then driving in fog or other weather that reduces down road vision; a driving style beam would be best fit for you. If thr opposite is your situation, then a fog beam would suit you best IMO.
My budget is what it is. I don't want to spend a lot of money because I know that I'll be in a convoy with friends and someone will chuck a good sized piece of gravel right into one of my lights and break it. I can buy a $100 set, but its $50 to replace if I can buy individually, whereas <$50 is <$25 to individually replace. Plus I'm in highschool, so as much as I keep telling myself I'll have this truck for a long time, I probably won't be able to afford to keep it together for sentimentality.

Garsh. Its a toss-up honestly. My brights/highs (normal OEM headlights) are enough to satisfy me for the most part except going down hilly-hills. That blind spot my highs create scares me during the rut or turkey season. But when I do long drives at night, more often than not its highway and I'm always finding myself turning my brights on and off. So I just leave my low beams on when I'm on a sparsely populated highway.

But at the same time, I get really scared (to the point that sometimes I grow an inch taller sh*tting...er... I mean sitting in my seat) when I'm driving home in a true blizzard. You're from Minnesota, you should know what I mean. Snowing so bad that wiper blades freeze up with the heat on high and start streaking something fierce, or when tracks created minutes ago are practically covered up already. So, after thinkin' bout it, I'm leaning towards amber fogs, but I'm only 60/40 on the matter.

2000CCSB said:
Enjoy Sumbitch :D
Those are bright as piss for just being those two lights! They seem like they'd be pretty useful scouting ditches for bear baits up north. However the mount, not my cup of tea. I'm a flushmount/OEM type of guy.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They had a version with an amber fog and clear driving too. These are LONG discontinued, and last I checked the PIAA ones are as well.
Damn. Something like that probably would have fit the bill.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I would still suggest getting the 4-hi mod just for the reasons you described. That is really simple to do and not expensive at all, you just need some wire and a relay.

Then get a cheap set of those blazer amber fog lights and mount them below the licence plate or bumper and call it a day.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like these?

You must be registered for see images attach

They had a version with an amber fog and clear driving too. These are LONG discontinued, and last I checked the PIAA ones are as well.

I had these for years before installing on my 99. I have since wished I would have pulled them when I sold it. The only issue with dual beam lights is their positioning (on my truck anyway) was too low for the driving lights to be as useful, still better than OE highs though.

Thats exactly what I was talking about. I haven't seen a set of those in years!

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
$10- 4 high
$35- 35watt HID low beams
$40- 55 watt HID high beams
$25- cheap amber fogs
________
$110 in that order

Those $25 fogs are going to be worthless anyways compared to 4 high or just 35w HID low beams.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
First night I hax them on I took my cousin home out in the country there is a bad hill on the way when you come up to the hill it surrounded by trees there are always dear hanging around the area. I got to the edge of the hill and instantly saw eyes lighting up 15 feet off the road. Boy was I happy. and as far as flush mount goe they are pretty flush. And will be more flush next time I mount them.

CrewCab Steve

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
55w's should be fine behind the grill. 130w's run really hot. Had some in my OEM fogs, & they shattered the lenses! (sniff)

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88GMCtruck said:
I would still suggest getting the 4-hi mod just for the reasons you described. That is really simple to do and not expensive at all, you just need some wire and a relay.

Then get a cheap set of those blazer amber fog lights and mount them below the licence plate or bumper and call it a day.

We'll see... maybe a little bit more convincing and a goat in a boat or a mouse in a house might get me to rig something up just to see what they look like from behind the wheel.

Half Assed said:
$10- 4 high
$35- 35watt HID low beams
$40- 55 watt HID high beams
$25- cheap amber fogs
________
$110 in that order

Those $25 fogs are going to be worthless anyways compared to 4 high or just 35w HID low beams.

Not an HID fan in the OEM locations, I hate that blue-glow (no rhyme or reason for it)... but the generalized math for what this might cost me is appreciated.

Not to be a total dick but seeing as you live in Florida, SOUTH Florida, I doubt you've had to drive through many blizzards. Real blizzards, like 2-3 inches per hour with 35-45mph winds. Amber fogs (which, bear in mind, I would plan on replacing their bulbs with 55w yellow/amber halogen/HID bulbs) would do me better than some 35w low beams in such conditions. (the exact purpose of why I'd get them. Not specifically for actual fog, although if they help in that, win/win) Color-on-white will always, ALWAYS, be better than white-on-white.

sewlow58 said:
55w's should be fine behind the grill. 130w's run really hot. Had some in my OEM fogs, & they shattered the lenses! (sniff)
Thanks! That post has thus-far saved my behind the grille lights idea. The reason I want to keep them alive and not just give in to the 4-high mod is cause they are unique. Which is, for the most part, what my truck is. Stock (mostly) on the outside, slowly becoming better/custom on the inside.

I appreciate all the opinions offered. Right now it would seem I'm leaning harder on getting the amber fogs and maybe throwing the thin driving lights behind the grille when I step into 40 extra bucks. Perhaps (a passing thought) swap my high-beams with HID's but not my low-beams. I am annoyed by the look of them coming at me (can't tell if they are brights or not and the blue-glow just irritates me) and I'd be a hypocrite to put them in as low-beams. Brights are brights and with HID's in em, they are bright! But low beams/runners are LOW for a reason. Don't want em bright and don't want them to be mistaken for brights.

Did I mention headlight (specifically running/low beams) HID's annoy me? If I haven't yet, let me say it again. They piss me off. I just don't flat out like them. No different than someone hating the three-position safety on a post-1991 Ruger M77. Sure the three-pos' safety is safer and probably better for overall usage of the rifle. But I'd rather have my tang safety out of personal preference and good ol' fashioned stubbornness. If you don't know guns, I'm rambling. If you do know guns, you'll have a half-assed idea of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
You crack me up. So is it the blue you dont like or what?? because my hids in my truck and the ones in my tahoe where wjite not blue. 5000k. The only way to go in 35 watt. Now I've got 6000k 55w in the C/C love them.
Low beams and fogs. Both 55w 6000k

Just showin what mine look like.

CrewCab Steve