Fog light placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I may or may not own guns depending if uncle Obama is reading this thread or not. :secret: :)

You know HIDs come in different colors right? If I knew how blue my 6000k were going to be, I would have gone with 4500 or 5000k(white). Yellow is 3000k. 6000+k is blue, green, purple, pink.

I'd start with 4-high. Why waste the opportunity to use the low beams when the high beams are on? Looks don't matter, you shouldn't have the high beams on when other people are around anyway.

Then 55 watt HID highs in 4500 or 5000k. Add some decent lights with a good beam pattern and put 35 or 55w 3000k HID bulbs in for snow.

Here is a pic of the lights I mounted behind the grille. I haven't wired in the switch yet though. :p

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score

not a very good picture but the 4-high with HIDs is very bright.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
If you ever go HIDs, get 4,300K. They are the "brightest" wavelength of color our eyes can see and are closest to daylight as possible.

I wouldn't put HIDs in your highbeams alone, they take some time to warm up. If you do HID high beams you will need to do the 4-hi mod because it'll be 5+ seconds before they are bright enough to really see. Particularly in the cold weather.

I have HIDs in all 8 lights on both of my vehicles. But i'm not using the OEM housings on either. The lights i'm using are halogen based H4 E-code lights and while not legal have a cut-off line because of their design. Haven't had anyone flash me with them.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know HIDs come in different colors right? If I knew how blue my 6000k were going to be, I would have gone with 4500 or 5000k(white). Yellow is 3000k. 6000+k is blue, green, purple, pink. The picture in my sig makes the 6000k look a lot more blue than they are. They are a light blue, but I still don't like them.

No. I did not. Huh. I feel like the root word in the second half of your forum name right now. A really big one. Never read into HIDs enough to know that I guess. Ignorance is bliss, right? I just figured...wow. Just no. I'm an ass. Thats all there is to it. :doh2:

SO, from what you are telling me...I'm an HID guy now? Seriously did not know that they came in different colors. I assumed they all had that blue-ness to them because thats all I have ever seen... or so thats all I every thought I saw because I thought they only were blue.

Thanks for the pic (now that I've seen that pic, I can see em in your sig pic as well) EDIT: I can see them in the sig pic you had less than five minutes ago.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
The lights in my truck are all 4,300K, except the ones in the bumper. Those are 6,000K that the seller sent by mistake (makes for a good comparison).

Lowbeams + Fogs

8-Hi (you can see the blue "spots" from the 6,000k spotlamps.)

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. I did not. Huh. I feel like the root word in the second half of your forum name right now. A really big one. Never read into HIDs enough to know that I guess. Ignorance is bliss, right? I just figured...wow. Just no. I'm an ass. Thats all there is to it. :doh2:

SO, from what you are telling me...I'm an HID guy now? Seriously did not know that they came in different colors. I assumed they all had that blue-ness to them because thats all I have ever seen... or so thats all I every thought I saw because I thought they only were blue.

Thanks for the pic (now that I've seen that pic, I can see em in your sig pic as well) EDIT: I can see them in the sig pic you had less than five minutes ago.

Yes sir, HID's are available from 3000K (Which is intense yellow) all the way up to 30,000K+ which is just obnoxious. As Dave said, you want 4300K for optimal light output. 5000K is pretty close, with a slightly bluer color temp. It's the guys that run the 10000K HID's (Which are rediculously blue) that tend to give HID's a bad rep. But once you drive a vehicle with good HID's, you'll have a hard time ever going back to Halogens. I personally run 5000K HID's in my 94', in my High Beams, Low Beams, And EuroBeam Driving Lights. I have awesome down road and lateral vision at night when on high beam. Now if you where to go with HID's in your Headlights, you'll need to do the 4-High regardless of whether you install HID's in the low beams or the high beams. Otherwise you'll be driving blind for a few seconds when switching from high to low beam or vise versa; while the HID's warm up.

You can take a read through this thread here, it'll give you a crash course on HID's and may help answer a few of your questions in regards to HID's: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?9338-How-To-Install-HID-s-amp-HID-Lighting-Explained

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I love this thread for all the pics of the HID setups. lol. I thing I want to do the 4-Hi HID mod now..and get a diesel bumper with HIDs. Does anyone know what temperature the lights in the new Escalades are? I like that color a lot, not too white, and not too blue.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88GMCtruck said:
The lights in my truck are all 4,300K, except the ones in the bumper. Those are 6,000K that the seller sent by mistake (makes for a good comparison).
Now that you mention it...

Now that I have come to realize why I couldn't "see the light", I think I'll give in.

Question: Since the high beams take 5+ seconds to warm up... can I still flash people? Sounds silly but I truly have never been a big fan of using my horn so flashing is the only other method of communication between me and stupid drivers. There have been times I had to flash people to remind them to actually turn ON their lights cause of bad conditions. So being able to flash quickly is a necessary want.

If I cannot quickly flash people...then the behind-the-grille lights are definitely gonna happen. lol not sure when, but they will. Nothing ****** me off more than braking behind someone on the phone doing 55 in the left lane because they forgot why they needed to pass someone.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I changed it. The editing effect I used made the lights too blue and was annoying me. Now you get a view of mah big rear end. :lol:

For realz though. DDM has HID kits for $30 and $40 (35 and 55 watt) and are good quality.

Question: Since the high beams take 5+ seconds to warm up... can I still flash people? Sounds silly but I truly have never been a big fan of using my horn so flashing is the only other method of communication between me and stupid drivers. There have been times I had to flash people to remind them to actually turn ON their lights cause of bad conditions. So being able to flash quickly is a necessary want.

If I cannot quickly flash people...then the behind-the-grille lights are definitely gonna happen. lol not sure when, but they will. Nothing ****** me off more than braking behind someone on the phone doing 55 in the left lane because they forgot why they needed to pass someone.
It's not recommended to flash with HIDs.

I love this thread for all the pics of the HID setups. lol. I thing I want to do the 4-Hi HID mod now..and get a diesel bumper with HIDs. Does anyone know what temperature the lights in the new Escalades are? I like that color a lot, not too white, and not too blue.

I like the light pattern those winjet projectors have that you installed on your truck. I can't get over the look of the lights though. Never was a fan of halos...

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes sir, HID's are available from 3000K (Which is intense yellow) all the way up to 30,000K+ which is just obnoxious. As Dave said, you want 4300K for optimal light output. 5000K is pretty close, with a slightly bluer color temp. It's the guys that run the 10000K HID's (Which are rediculously blue) that tend to give HID's a bad rep. But once you drive a vehicle with good HID's, you'll have a hard time ever going back to Halogens. I personally run 5000K HID's in my 94', in my High Beams, Low Beams, And EuroBeam Driving Lights. I have awesome down road and lateral vision at night when on high beam. Now if you where to go with HID's in your Headlights, you'll need to do the 4-High regardless of whether you install HID's in the low beams or the high beams. Otherwise you'll be driving blind for a few seconds when switching from high to low beam or vise versa; while the HID's warm up.

You can take a read through this thread here, it'll give you a crash course on HID's and may help answer a few of your questions in regards to HID's: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?9338-How-To-Install-HID-s-amp-HID-Lighting-Explained
Apparently. lol

Appreciate it! I'll be sure to read through that forum before I start this here homework. Who reads recreationally anyways?

I'll PM you about that wiring harness you have. As much as I love doing my own wiring, I think I'll take the easy road this time.