Fog light placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
My Flickr pictures are just fine thank you. Lol. The fogs I have aren't cheap either, they ran a little over $50. They are really good quality and are 55 watts.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88GMCtruck said:
You can easily and cleanly mount just about any foglight behind the valence, just have to make a bracket, cut the holes, etc. Being that low is good for inclement weather.

That's a good option. I'm not a big fan of cutting holes, but I can't imagine valances cost that much (if I botch mine I'd definitely replace it with a nice, new one.) I'm not very good at precision measuring/cutting but I am great at precision criticism. I hold standards higher than those I can accomplish. lol

88GMCtruck said:
Also, what's wrong with the 4-hi mod? Both of my trucks have 8-hi
Half Assed said:
4 high FTW

I hate the look of the 4-high mod. I've seen a couple 400's with them in person and they are just obnoxious to me. Sorry guys. "Opinions vary"-Dalton, Road House

sewlow58 said:
Don't know about putting them behind the grill. Especially if they're like the ones on the F*rd pictured. Those are a true off-road light. Had some like that behind the grill of my '80 El Camino with 130w Halogen bulbs. They run so hot that I would have to pull the grill & repaint it every 3-4 months. So hot, they would cook the paint to the point of flaking off. After 2 years, had to replace the grill as the plastic bars had begun to melt & sag.
I found that the bars in the grill effected the way the light beam projected, too. Really nice to drive behind, though. People coming at me with their high beams on, really got the message when I flashed those lights. Light up the whole inside of their vehicle from a 1/4 mile away!

I was thinking whether or not it would start to ruin the paint on the grille. I posted a link to the behind-the-grille lights I found. here it is again. They are just 55-watt'ers and pretty inexpensive for their size and thickness (the appealing part was that they are 2in thick, thus they could easily fit behind the grille) Plus its a simple agricultural light, so by definition its not a "true off-road light".
I don't know that much about driving lights (halogen, incandescent...etc) but would 55w heat up enough to cause the grille paint to peel like you mentioned? I wouldn't be using them all the time. Just for flashing people who have their brights on or for people infront of me who don't feel like getting back in the right lane. And once in a while on a late night drive home out in the country, which is twice a month.

88GMCtruck said:
I'm not for lights behind the grille particularly, all it does it block cooling capability. Not bad if you just drive the truck, but more of an issue in extreme climates and/or if you tow heavy loads.

I rarely tow anything worthy of a truck's power. Maybe five times a year my truck hauls something that needs a car-trailer and they aren't long hauls neither. The WI climate isn't really extreme heat wise. I pretty much just drive my truck and use it to get through the snow or go off the beaten trail.

ShadowRejects said:
i just drilled into my bumper and bolted them up. nothing fancy, i do love how square fog's look on obs trucks though.

Thats what I'm trying to avoid (drilling into the bumper). Bumpers cost money, more than what this light-setup is worth to me. (That is also the same reason I can't do the diesel bumper option. If I could even find one anywhere around here, the junkyard would charge me an arm and a leg for it cause they know how popular they are. IF I had the money for it, I would get the diesel bumper and put fogs in the holes, and be done with it.)
Maybe a bracket that bolts up to the bumper bolts under the grille and bends over the top of the bumper that I could then mount lights to? might work. got me thinkin'.

97PROSHOZ71 said:
My Flickr pictures are just fine thank you. Lol. The fogs I have aren't cheap either, they ran a little over $50. They are really good quality and are 55 watts.
Um, not to me they aren't. The picture I posted of your truck is the most recent one I could find that hadn't "expired" or whatever flickr's problem is.

I like the setup you have, cause I'm pretty sure I could hide a mount bracket underneath the license plate bracket. I've seen the same amber-fog setup in person on a minivan-converted-to-a-truck and it has what I would call a cool and interesting "stance". I wouldn't spend $50 for MY lights though. I want something that if it breaks, I'm not gonna worry too much bout it. ($50 for less than 6 months of usage is a financial devastation. lol)

I prefer "bolt-on" methods for my mods. I try to use stock fasteners to mount homemade brackets for lights and such as much as possible. Thanks everyone for the tips/advice/opinions/comments. Keep em coming! :)

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
That's a good option. I'm not a big fan of cutting holes, but I can't imagine valances cost that much (if I botch mine I'd definitely replace it with a nice, new one.) I'm not very good at precision measuring/cutting but I am great at precision criticism. I hold standards higher than those I can accomplish. lol

I hate the look of the 4-high mod. I've seen a couple 400's with them in person and they are just obnoxious to me. Sorry guys. "Opinions vary"-Dalton, Road House

Valances are pretty cheap ($40 IIRC). My sport one was $80 at the dealership. There isn't a factory fog & towhook combo though - either way you have to cut one of the holes. If you buy the OEM sport (fog light) valance, it'll have a small outline where the towhooks go. At least mine did. If not, you'll have the original as a template.

If you do use the OEM sized holes in the valence, the KC LX2, or the cheaper "blazer" brand foglights from the parts stores and walmart are the proper size (they all use the same housing). The OEM ones and KC ones are MUCH thicker glass, but aren't available in amber like the blazer brand. http://www.blazer-international.com/products/Fog_Driving_Lights/Incandescent_Fog_Driving/CW1075KB

The 4-hi mod is only when the high-beams are on. People shouldn't be driving around with all 4 lights on all the time - not only is that offensive to drivers but it's illegal. You should only use them when there is no oncoming traffic. The 4-hi mod isn't for looks, it's for increased light output which IMO when travelling down a dark road is more of a safety feature than anything. The GMT900 vehicles have this feature from the factory.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Valances are pretty cheap ($40 IIRC). My sport one was $80 at the dealership. There isn't a factory fog & towhook combo though - either way you have to cut one of the holes. If you buy the OEM sport (fog light) valance, it'll have a small outline where the towhooks go. At least mine did. If not, you'll have the original as a template.

If you do use the OEM sized holes in the valence, the KC LX2, or the cheaper "blazer" brand foglights from the parts stores and walmart are the proper size (they all use the same housing). The OEM ones and KC ones are MUCH thicker glass, but aren't available in amber like the blazer brand. http://www.blazer-international.com/products/Fog_Driving_Lights/Incandescent_Fog_Driving/CW1075KB

The 4-hi mod is only when the high-beams are on. People shouldn't be driving around with all 4 lights on all the time - not only is that offensive to drivers but it's illegal. You should only use them when there is no oncoming traffic.The 4-hi mod isn't for looks, it's for increased light output which IMO when travelling down a dark road is more of a safety feature than anything. The GMT900 vehicles have this feature from the factory.

Thanks for the valance info! Definitely will use it as a resource for when this project comes into the light.

Did not know that. I've seen the 4-high at dusk in the city (truly obnoxious) and at night going down a 2-lane country road (personally obnoxious). However, I still don't like the 4-high. Call me the stubborn character from Green Eggs and Ham. "Up my ass there isn't a rod, I just don't like that 4-high mod." ;)

Probably should mention I'm not an headlight HID fan. In replacement of normal driving lights, they are annoying to me (I offend easily). For brights, I can understand. I don't plan on swapping or modding my actual headlights, thus the title "Fog light placement".

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want them as low as possible, as in cut holes in the valance and mount them there. They are supposed to shine under the fog. You will never be able to cut through the fog with any lights.

Do you have HIDs in the low and high beams? Do that first along with 4 high.

I have some lights I just mounted behind the grille but they are going to be for long distance, not fog. Eventually I want to add some universal fit HID projectors from e in the valance for shining underneath fog.

I think you edited that in cause I don't recall seeing that when you originally posted. Pics please? :D

Like I've said, they aren't "fogs" per se, but aftermarket driving lights. I'd rather call them fogs than KC's cause everyone round here calls any $10 set of off-road lights "KC's". Its an insult to the quality KC products.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The 4-hi mod is only when the high-beams are on. People shouldn't be driving around with all 4 lights on all the time - not only is that offensive to drivers but it's illegal. You should only use them when there is no oncoming traffic. The 4-hi mod isn't for looks, it's for increased light output which IMO when travelling down a dark road is more of a safety feature than anything. The GMT900 vehicles have this feature from the factory.

:word: The 4-high is a must have for any GMT400. With the 4-high mod; the low beams do a great job of filling the foreground void that the high beams don't illuminate by them selves. The oem headlight set up on these trucks leave a LOT to be desired, the 4-high mod makes a huge difference even with OE Lamps and housings.

As for your fogs, I don't know what your budget is but something worth looking into for a fog beam; you could look into PIAA or Lightforce. Both offer (as well as several other manufactures) lamps that accept snap on color filters for different road conditions. Its just a flexible option for halogen lighting that may be worth keeping in mind.

As already mentioned, if your going with a fog beam you want to mount them as low as possible. As in the valance as Dave stated. Now if you where going with a Driving beam, you'd want them mounted higher up. Remember Fogs=short wide beam. Driving= narrower long beam.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:word: The 4-high is a must have for any GMT400. With the 4-high mod; the low beams do a great job of filling the foreground void that the high beams don't illuminate by them selves. The oem headlight set up on these trucks leave a LOT to be desired, the 4-high mod makes a huge difference even with OE Lamps and housings.

As for your fogs, I don't know what your budget is but something worth looking into for a fog beam; you could look into PIAA or Lightforce. Both offer (as well as several other manufactures) lamps that accept snap on color filters for different road conditions. Its just a flexible option for halogen lighting that may be worth keeping in mind.

As already mentioned, if your going with a fog beam you want to mount them as low as possible. As in the valance as Dave stated. Now if you where going with a Driving beam, you'd want them mounted higher up. Remember Fogs=short wide beam. Driving= narrower long beam.

I heard (well, read) somewhere you were the HID guy... (nice truck color btw)

My budget is basically $100. My preference is under $75 for everything. Relay, wiring, actual lights, replacement bulbs (if desired)...etc.

I just want aftermarket lights I guess. The two directions I want to go are either amber fogs for winter/coolness effect (true fogs, as you have defined) or driving lights for "necessary" flashing and occasional late night drives. Its not in my account to do both but I'd like to do at least one or the other. Whichever one, after educated and intelligent thought accumulation, is most logical for my needs. Right now, it is not clear which one would be best for me.

Last edited:

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
I went custom but I'm happy with the outcome. 01' fogs in my valance
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: $35 fog lamps via ebay. $65 55 watt hids.

Enjoy Sumbitch :D
CrewCab Steve

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I heard (well, read) somewhere you were the HID guy... (nice truck color btw)

My budget is basically $100. My preference is under $75 for everything. Relay, wiring, actual lights, replacement bulbs (if desired)...etc.

I just want aftermarket lights I guess. The two directions I want to go are either amber fogs (true fogs, as you have defined) or driving lights for "necessary" flashing and occasional late night drives. Its not in my account to do both but I'd like to do at least one or the other. Whichever one, after educated and intelligent thought accumulation, is most logical for my needs. Right now, is not clear which one would be best for me.

Do you use your low beams or high beams more often? Generally speaking fogs are used to aid in use of the low beams. And driving lights are always for use in conjunction with the high beams.

I personally find a driving beam a more useful light, being it helps reach out in further past your high beams. And can be utilized the most often IMO. Where as fog lights are optimal in inclimate weather. IIRC Dick Capek used to offer a lamp that had both a driving and fog beam, in one housing. I believe PIAA still has a lamp like that.

As for budget, your going to be pretty hard pressed to get a good complete set up for under a hundred dollar bill. With that being said, Hella makes there 500 series which is a great light for the money. And is available in both a fog and driving beam flavor, as well as a free form and diffused lens options. The 500 line runs in the 80 dollar range, and is a good unit that would be worth looking into.

IMO if you find yourself driving on rural roads at night more often then driving in fog or other weather that reduces down road vision; a driving style beam would be best fit for you. If thr opposite is your situation, then a fog beam would suit you best IMO.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Like these?

They had a version with an amber fog and clear driving too. These are LONG discontinued, and last I checked the PIAA ones are as well.

I had these for years before installing on my 99. I have since wished I would have pulled them when I sold it. The only issue with dual beam lights is their positioning (on my truck anyway) was too low for the driving lights to be as useful, still better than OE highs though.