Flowmaster 40 or Thrush welded on Vortec 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowride55

Reaction score
I have a 96 RCSB and I cant decide between these mufflers. Thrush is really selling me on the price, but I really like the sound of a flowmaster 40. How loud is the 40? I want to be able to hear it, but still be friends with the neighbors. Also, if I place the 40 furter away from the cab, will it not drone as bad? Im just cutting out the old muffler and putting this in so I will still have a tailpipe. Thanks

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I have a Thrush, I like it. It has a similar tone to the FM but a little louder. I've had FM 40s in the past, I like those too. Personally I like the sound of the FM better but fer half the price the Thrush nabbed me. Yes if u place it farther back, it will help, but not that much.

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
same here, had flow 40's on the yukon till one developed a rattle. replaced em with the weldeds and i will never go back. got 2 thrushes for the price of 1 FM

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just last week took the rusted out fm off and put a thrush welded on, sounds just as good for a lot less money, no real drone

slowride55

Reaction score
If I go to Autozone will they tell the muffler I need? I have a 305 so Im assuming its 2.5" piping. I think I need an offset in/offset out. I have a carquest in my town that Ill but the clamps and extra pipe from. Is it ok to just have it clamped on or will it leak?

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
My thrushes are pretty quiet until you hit it, then its got the fairly typical SBC crackle. Thats through long tubes and no cats as well FYI.

None of its in super great shape, but if you're in northern IL you should come pick it all up from me lol. Its all gotta go when the 5.3 goes in.

If I go to Autozone will they tell the muffler I need? I have a 305 so Im assuming its 2.5" piping. I think I need an offset in/offset out. I have a carquest in my town that Ill but the clamps and extra pipe from. Is it ok to just have it clamped on or will it leak?

If you don't plan on welding, get band clamps, not the U-bolts, otherwise when it times come to pull it apart, you'll be using a saw, and many words not appropriate for mixed company. I ordered all my exhaust stuff from Summit for pretty cheap. I'll be running a 3.5" Hooker AeroChamber after the swap... far and away my favorite muffler.

Last edited:

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got thrush with shorty headers and straight 3" pipe no cats and it sounds SUPER mean. No real drone but it's loud when you stab it. To me it sounds pretty similar to a 40 but throatier.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
stocl pipe on my 98 305 was 2.75 out side diaameter and i have a sinle in dual out flow 40 with no cat and i love the sound of it but it does drone a little and im also running dual pipes out the back at 45s with 3.5 inch tips