first vehicle. 97' GMC build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlaskanTrucker379

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Im new to the GMT400 community. Ive always been a diesel guy but have recently purchased a 1997 GMC 1500 from a adult friend. (gas motor starts better in Alaskan winters) The paint is pretty ruff condition but everything else seems to be sound. Paid $3500 and only has 150,000 miles.

Ive had it two weeks and have already ordered clear front marker lights. They should be in shortly. I will be buying a billet grill and LED front signals.

I cleaned up the headlights and painted the Wiper arms so far. More soon to come. I would like this to turn into a build thread. Decided it would better to start it early and update as I go even though I haven't done much.

Anywho, pics....

When I first bought it on our tiltbed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Took the canopy off and hand washed it.

What do you guys think? I posted here because I want feedback and will need some help in the future :)

Going to look at a bumper on craigslist tomorrow, can you tell the current on is tweak a bit?

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas.

Nice find. Good lookin truck. If I may, the bumper may not need to be replaced, It could be a tweaked mount, which can be adjusted or re-bent. Also, I good first buy might be some new door latch and Strike pins.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
:welcome: She's a clean rig for sure! I'll be looking forward to see what you do with it.

AlaskanTrucker379

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas.

Nice find. Good lookin truck. If I may, the bumper may not need to be replaced, It could be a tweaked mount, which can be adjusted or re-bent. Also, I good first buy might be some new door latch and Strike pins.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Shelby: I am 90% sure the bumper itself is tweaked, ive already inspected all the mounts. This bumper im going to see, the guys only wants $50 so for that price, Its just easier for me to bolt it on.

As for the door latches, Not entirely sure what you mean. The actual handle on the outside? Or are you talking about the how the door doesnt line up properly when closed? If the second, I inspected it and found that the Bushing and spring are completely gone from the hinge assembly. The door is only attached with 2 simple hinges. I actually found the spring sitting in the rocker panel sheet metal under the door. :/

Actually took some pics.

Passenger door (how it is suppose to be)

You must be registered for see images

Driver door

You must be registered for see images

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Yeppers, Very common with our rigs. Easy fix. The bushings can be had at the local parts store fer like $6. The latch n striker are on the backside of the door. The bolt lookin thing that the door latches on to shut. Both the latch and bolt need to be replace as well. The latch has a plastic piece that breaks easily. and the bolt gets worn down.

AlaskanTrucker379

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeppers, Very common with our rigs. Easy fix. The bushings can be had at the local parts store fer like $6. The latch n striker are on the backside of the door. The bolt lookin thing that the door latches on to shut. Both the latch and bolt need to be replace as well. The latch has a plastic piece that breaks easily. and the bolt gets worn down.

Okay, I never even thought to look at the backside. is that what causes the uneven look? I cant stand how my trim pieces aren't lined up perfectly when the door is closed.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Both the hinge bushings and the latch contribute. Like I said, very common. One of the first repairs I hada make on all mine.