First OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
This is my first OBS Chevy. Normally I dabbled in LS powered cars but the last couple of years I’ve been into trucks. I had a 2010 raptor with a 6.2 and whipple that I sold recently. I also have my 1996 bronco I went full Restomod on. Custom dash, repaint, 8 lug conversion ttb, zf5, built 357w, headers, Holley terminator, air lockers, etc. the only It’s a fully built pre runner. The only thing original is sheet metal. I’m the second owner and it was a government truck before I acquired it.

So anyway, I acquired this 1989 4x4 stepside. It’s rough on the outside. The paint is going to require a full repaint but the truck has no rust. A few dings here and there but nothing that isn’t fixable.

You must be registered for see images attach

I’m going to modify it a little bit but it’s meant to be my daily because $60k in my bronco means it sure as hell isn’t going to be a daily.

I’m looking to do a 14 bolt 8 lug in the rear. My 10 bolt went out shortly after purchase. Upon inspection it looks like the prior owner tried to went the axle tube and it cracked causing fluid to leak out. I missed it when I was under the truck because I was looking for rust. PNW trucks don’t really rust so I just looked for a rear main seal leak and a tranny leak.

Still undecided on what to do for the front. If anyone has any input let me know. Based on my research I understand the diff on the 1500 is weak. I know a Restomod shop that will be able to swap in a 9.25 but I haven’t quite figured out the control arm, knuckle, and axle situation.

Eventually I’m going to ls swap it (L92) and undecided on the transmission. I want to put in a nv4500 but can’t find one anywhere based on initial search results. I’m just waiting for the 350 to die out.

If anyone has any tips or things they’d recommend for the front end let me know. The rear seems pretty straight forward.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada
Blue steppy for the win!!! I'm biased!! Lol
Sounds like a wicked project you are about to embark on, please keep us posted with lots of pics!!!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Just a heads up to make it easy. GM made a 14 bolt 6 lug axle that will go right in and you can leave the front alone. They are rare but they do exist. I have one in my 1998 z71.
I saw that when searching more. I guess it depends on what I’m doing with the front. I’d like to swap the 8 lug up front but am unsure if a solid axle or 8 lug ifs is in my future.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is my first OBS Chevy. Normally I dabbled in LS powered cars but the last couple of years I’ve been into trucks. I had a 2010 raptor with a 6.2 and whipple that I sold recently. I also have my 1996 bronco I went full Restomod on. Custom dash, repaint, 8 lug conversion ttb, zf5, built 357w, headers, Holley terminator, air lockers, etc. the only It’s a fully built pre runner. The only thing original is sheet metal. I’m the second owner and it was a government truck before I acquired it.

So anyway, I acquired this 1989 4x4 stepside. It’s rough on the outside. The paint is going to require a full repaint but the truck has no rust. A few dings here and there but nothing that isn’t fixable.

You must be registered for see images attach

I’m going to modify it a little bit but it’s meant to be my daily because $60k in my bronco means it sure as hell isn’t going to be a daily.

I’m looking to do a 14 bolt 8 lug in the rear. My 10 bolt went out shortly after purchase. Upon inspection it looks like the prior owner tried to went the axle tube and it cracked causing fluid to leak out. I missed it when I was under the truck because I was looking for rust. PNW trucks don’t really rust so I just looked for a rear main seal leak and a tranny leak.

Still undecided on what to do for the front. If anyone has any input let me know. Based on my research I understand the diff on the 1500 is weak. I know a Restomod shop that will be able to swap in a 9.25 but I haven’t quite figured out the control arm, knuckle, and axle situation.

Eventually I’m going to ls swap it (L92) and undecided on the transmission. I want to put in a nv4500 but can’t find one anywhere based on initial search results. I’m just waiting for the 350 to die out.

If anyone has any tips or things they’d recommend for the front end let me know. The rear seems pretty straight forward.
I know another forum member in Grants Pass who has a 93 K3500 that has a 6.5, 5 speed, manual shift transfer case and 4.10 gears that is for sale. He is willing to part it out if you don't need everything. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his number.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I know another forum member in Grants Pass who has a 93 K3500 that has a 6.5, 5 speed, manual shift transfer case and 4.10 gears that is for sale. He is willing to part it out if you don't need everything. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his nunumber.
What all was wrong with it? And what's left.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually left the profession and am working as a service advisor for a repair shop. Never been happier honestly
Heard that. I’m probably going to do public accounting until my loans are paid off then change professions, too. I work for a midsize regional firm now - full time remote.