Finally! GMT800 style towing mirrors on GMT400.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
All I had to do was clearance the back plastic cover next to the reverse light. Not my best job, but unless you know it's there you can't tell.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's pretty much all that I had to do, but obviously you have to be able to take apart the original lights since it's just the lense. I also had to shave down some of the lense itself to make the mating surfaces flat to epoxy together.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought you bought K2XX mirrors with GMT400 bases and another set with GMT800 bases. You aren't going to be able to swap motors between the two because they attach differently to the mirror glass. That is how mine ended up anyway, so I just have to live with the swapped controls.

I do not, I had my mirrors apart to modify the wiring and I just figured out the adjustment wiring by playing around with it.
no, i got the cheapest old style mirrors i could find with the right bases and the new style and swapped those bases....i figured thats the same you did when you said you had old style and used the bases?
i was not talking about swapping motors, i was saying i would take moror apart and find a way to wire. i did that and got it to work...its the 4 wire vs 3 wire post on my page....think you commented on it.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
where are you guys getting reverse light power from? trying to find wire diagram but all looks like its from tranny back? any power in cab or on firewall for backup lights?

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
where are you guys getting reverse light power from? trying to find wire diagram but all looks like its from tranny back? any power in cab or on firewall for backup lights?

There should be a light green wire under dash near the steering column that is the reverse light feed you could use... or if you wanted to, use the light green wire going into the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission.

Edit: Also if you have an auto dimming rearview mirror, you can tap off the light green wire that goes to that.

Last edited:

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the green wire is the reverse light feed....or the reverse switch feed? power drops to tranny switch, then comes back up into dash? i have the auto dim but i added it and the only thing i did not wire was the reverse shut off.....if its under the dast ill wire it up when im in there, that would be awesome!.....outside freezing trying to get it done before the snow storm hits tomorrow. looking where im going to tap into power now. you talking about the big plug with all the wires coming down the steering column? strange they would run reverse power back to there......ill go look now.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
The green wire should be the feed wire and supply 12v. I might be mistaken on it being under the dash, I thought I remembered seeing it while I was installing my old tow mirrors but I could be wrong. But I know for a fact, it is on the neutral safety switch and on the auto dimming rearview mirrors.

I actually haven't installed my K2XX mirrors yet, hopefully will be doing it tomorrow, so I can't vouch 100% on the wire being under the dash.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Well, I just went out and checked my 96 and I didn't check all the ones in the big junction connector at the column because I looked at the convenience center and in one of the slots that say NAT (second row down, second slot over. The one next to the defrost pin which is purple) mine has a connector in it with a light green and pink wire that I'm guessing goes to the auto dimming mirror and the green wire is a reverse feed you can tap into. That's where I'm going to tap my mirrors into.

Here's the picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh man you are awesome! thanks dude. i just pulled half of the dash apart and testing for power....that will be so much better.....going to check now. thank you for checking for me!!!

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just went and checked...thats it! thanks dude, im freezing out there...downfall of having a big truck, cant fit in garage. now i gotta find turn and im good to go. the turn under the steering column will be just turn and not stop/turn right?