Exhaust cut-out/cat delete project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, bad news guys. My good buddy pointed out to me that doing this with stock valves could be bad for the engine. His reasoning was that with nothing between the cutout and the cylinders but pipes and valves, the engine could easily suck air backwards and break the valves. Then the valves flying around in the cylinder would cause more damage. I looked it up and there's a lot of stuff to support him...

You must be registered for see images

Stop listening to your "good buddy". He has no idea what he is talking about.

Seriously, stop listening to him.

Last edited:

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Valves will be fine. As long as there is a little bit of piping to have some exhaust velocity, no problems will occur. If you're running wide open manifolds you might burn the valves up a little, but in your case, no problems.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Valves will be fine. As long as there is a little bit of piping to have some exhaust velocity, no problems will occur. If you're running wide open manifolds you might burn the valves up a little, but in your case, no problems.

No, you can run no manifolds at all and the valves will be fine. This is just more "urban myth" crap.

It won't run as well as it could without exhaust scavenging effects and it will be loud enough to wake the dead, but it won't damage anything.

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Mine spent about 45 minutes at 70 mph on the highway after i rebuilt my trans with only a pair of manifolds on it. It was a incredibly loud ride, but no, it won't damage your engine. If this was true, you would'n see race cars that just run headers. Motorcycles and old airplanes run very short, open exhaust. If you are worried about cold air hitting the exhaust valve, think about what happens every time a engine with a cold air intake takes a gulp on the intake stroke. Cold air is intentionally pulled into the cylinder. Then look at people running nitrous, when it is sprayed in the intake, it drops the temp of the incoming air by like 80 degrees. That air is frigid and does not do damage to the valves. With the amount of pipe you will have before your cut-outs, there is no way this will cause any problems. Also, if this is true, how do vehicles with air injection manifolds not warp/burn valves? They FORCE cold air into the exhaust, and if you have ever had one of these manifolds off, the tubes stick up in the heads ALMOST touching the valves. If anything was going to cause a burned/warped valve, that would do it for sure. The only burned valves i have ever seen were caused by a mechanical problem where they are not closing properly, and the pressure and heat from the burning fuel escaping around the valve seat had burned up the head of the valve.

Last edited:

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
No, you can run no manifolds at all and the valves will be fine. This is just more "urban myth" crap.

It won't run as well as it could without exhaust scavenging effects and it will be loud enough to wake the dead, but it won't damage anything.

I actually did burn a couple valves out running cutouts right after the manifolds. Maybe it was coincidense that it happened about a month afterwsrds, but the engine ran fine, and the AFR gauge was always between 13-15:1

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I actually did burn a couple valves out running cutouts right after the manifolds. Maybe it was coincidense that it happened about a month afterwsrds, but the engine ran fine, and the AFR gauge was always between 13-15:1

Coincidence indeed.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well now I feel like a dumb a$$. Another thing crossed my mind that I was gonna ask my friend. Haha. But I guess I'll ask y'all instead. If I removed my cat I'd be running nothing but pipe. Would it be better to add a muffler while I'm doing this mod? The one I want is just under $100

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Well, bad news guys. My good buddy pointed out to me that doing this with stock valves could be bad for the engine. His reasoning was that with nothing between the cutout and the cylinders but pipes and valves, the engine could easily suck air backwards and break the valves. Then the valves flying around in the cylinder would cause more damage. I looked it up and there's a lot of stuff to support him. The risk is too great for the reward IMO. I'd love to do this, but for now, I think I'll put either a straight pipe, or a flow master muffler in its place. If anyone else wants to do this exhaust cut-out project, feel free to use this thread to show us your build.

Your "good buddy" is a complete and total moron lol

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well now I feel like a dumb a$$. Another thing crossed my mind that I was gonna ask my friend. Haha. But I guess I'll ask y'all instead. If I removed my cat I'd be running nothing but pipe. Would it be better to add a muffler while I'm doing this mod? The one I want is just under $100

Well, "better" needs a bit more definition.

Sound? Type of sound? (rumble, volume, etc)

MPG?

Power?

etc....

What are you after?

You need to formulate a total plan to and end product before you start whacking parts off and bolting things on.....

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, "better" needs a bit more definition.

Sound? Type of sound? (rumble, volume, etc)

MPG?

Power?

etc....

What are you after?

You need to formulate a total plan to and end product before you start whacking parts off and bolting things on.....

I want it to sound good and as loud as possible without attracting cops. But when I build the motor I want to take it to the strip (just for fun) and that's why I want the cut-out.