Encounters with your GMT-400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
And yes when i bought the truck the po gave the owner i bought it from the wrong title. For same exact truck just dif vins. Got it registered (not knowing at the time it was the wrong title) until we went to get insurance my inspection was the right vin not the registration. So i was told by the mva just drive the rest of your 30 day temp tag. You know on a truck thats not in my name. That was a fiasco. Contacted the owner i bought it from he Contacted the po b4 him. They found the title. We had the titles swapped around. Finally got that over with then that happened.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Had a few pucker moments with our old square body Burbs....one time on the way from Houston to central Oklahoma for a swap meet. We're heading up I-45, it's just after sunrise, we're towing our old utility trailer. Seriously loaded, Burb and trailer. Dad was driving, I'm sitting behind him, half asleep. All of a sudden "BAM" sounds like a gun went off near my head. He kept it straight, got us onto the shoulder. Had a blowout on the right rear. Trim ring came off, never found it. Changed the tire and got back on the road.....
Another trip to the DFW area, different Burb, fuel pump goes out while we're hooking it up 45. Of course the old carburetor engine, you can get the pump at any parts store and change it in half hour. Cafe across the interstate, so the folks go over there. The local wrecker driver is there, he calls the parts house and gets them to stay open cause he's bringing us to get the pump. Gotta love small towns! Of course this was 30 years ago too....
Same Burb, different trip, water pump goes out, coming home from Dallas. Walked to the local cafe, different town, they knew the local mechanic. He comes and goes us in, does the job while we wait with his wife and kids (shop next door to house).
We had gone over the truck/Burb before making the trip, as we always did. But sometimes parts just fail without much warning.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a few pucker moments with our old square body Burbs....one time on the way from Houston to central Oklahoma for a swap meet. We're heading up I-45, it's just after sunrise, we're towing our old utility trailer. Seriously loaded, Burb and trailer. Dad was driving, I'm sitting behind him, half asleep. All of a sudden "BAM" sounds like a gun went off near my head. He kept it straight, got us onto the shoulder. Had a blowout on the right rear. Trim ring came off, never found it. Changed the tire and got back on the road.....
Another trip to the DFW area, different Burb, fuel pump goes out while we're hooking it up 45. Of course the old carburetor engine, you can get the pump at any parts store and change it in half hour. Cafe across the interstate, so the folks go over there. The local wrecker driver is there, he calls the parts house and gets them to stay open cause he's bringing us to get the pump. Gotta love small towns! Of course this was 30 years ago too....
Same Burb, different trip, water pump goes out, coming home from Dallas. Walked to the local cafe, different town, they knew the local mechanic. He comes and goes us in, does the job while we wait with his wife and kids (shop next door to house).
We had gone over the truck/Burb before making the trip, as we always did. But sometimes parts just fail without much warning.
Gotta love small towns.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sometimes parts just fail without much warning.

It's the nature of owning a 10+ y/o vehicle. My 1st transmission died for no reason at all. Just driving down the road and I lost 3rd and 4th gear. The transmission tech looked at my fluid and filter and nothing was odd about it. He just told me that the only explanation for my 1st transmission dying is that it was old and it had 238k miles on it. I know a lot of people here hate 4L60/4L60Es but they're fine as a commuter transmission which is what I use my truck for.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And yes when i bought the truck the po gave the owner i bought it from the wrong title. For same exact truck just dif vins. Got it registered (not knowing at the time it was the wrong title) until we went to get insurance my inspection was the right vin not the registration. So i was told by the mva just drive the rest of your 30 day temp tag. You know on a truck thats not in my name. That was a fiasco. Contacted the owner i bought it from he Contacted the po b4 him. They found the title. We had the titles swapped around. Finally got that over with then that happened.

THANK GOD no one thought you stole the truck. That easily could've made you look like you stole it.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
It's the nature of owning a 10+ y/o vehicle. My 1st transmission died for no reason at all. Just driving down the road and I lost 3rd and 4th gear. The transmission tech looked at my fluid and filter and nothing was odd about it. He just told me that the only explanation for my 1st transmission dying is that it was old and it had 238k miles on it. I know a lot of people here hate 4L60/4L60Es but they're fine as a commuter transmission which is what I use my truck for.
I have 195,076 on my truck now. She dose erratic things when shifting. Hard,smooth, works fine, wont idle down, wont down shift. Somedays downshifts just fine, rpms move while cruising. I just think of it as a personality. Just giver lucas vitamins and shes happy.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the rear brake line rupture in my Suburban as I was coming to a stop at a light one day. Brand new BMW 7 series in front of me. Thankfully I thought quickly enough to smash the parking brake and that stopped it in time and enabled me to limp into a parking lot. Pretty scary few seconds though.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When we bought Pearl she was in FL and we brought her home to OR. Somewhere between Ft Worth and Waco the torque converter started slipping and we couldn't use overdrive. I broke out the trusty MT2500 scanner and forced OD with it. No lock up but at least we had lower rpm and higher speeds.

That night we shut the truck off in front of the lobby of the hotel and when we went to park after getting a room the starter solenoid stuck and we had to rip the battery cables off to keep the starter from spinning with the engine running.

On a hot day we hit the button for the AC and it sounded like a bomb went off under the hood and it appeared to have smoke coming up. The rubber AC line ruptured and PAG oil blew everywhere. The 134a and oil looked like smoke.

Towing a travel trailer over Lost Creek bridge when the RF tire blew out doing 55. It is tough to see in the picture but the tire marks are 10-12 inches from the concrete bridge side before I could get it to start to turn away from the side. Keep in mind that Pearl is a dually and the trailer was just as wide as Pearl so her butt was really close. Also that bridge is a good 40-50' above the water so thank God we didn't go over.

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Richard

I had this happen twice. Once when I pulled into the gas station, and once when I pulled into my own driveway. It's why I don't buy, nor recommend, NAPA suspension and steering parts. The tie-rod ends would not hold grease, and would pop out of the socket in a year. This was the supposed high-line. I suppose things could have changed by now, as this was back around 07-09, I think.

I actually drove the truck home from the gas station relying on caster to keep the wheel straight. It misbehaved a couple of times when it decided to do it's own thing, but that street is only a 35mph zone and the 3 wheels would keep the truck pretty straight.